Can I use FreeNAS as Backup Server?

lokeshkamath

Cadet
Hi All,

Myself Lokesh Kamath.

We have more than 100 systems with 30 Windows (win7 & 10) & remaining Ubuntu (12.04 to 18.04).

Currently we are using Netgear Readynas as Backup device (8TB).

I also created one more system with 12TB Storage with 16GB RAM with Intel Xeon Server Board. I am not understanding which OS I should load in this and how to take 2nd copy of Backup.

In Netgear Readynas there is an option I can configure backup from netgear readynas box (for ubuntu i installed samba share in every lan system, shared documents folder with password). Can I use FreeNAS software so that i can backup all the system data from server system instead of going to every system and installing any software or checking all the system backup are happening on daily basis.

Please guide me.

Thanks in Advance.
Lokesh Kamath

blanchet

Guru
By default, FreeNAS offers only storage services through NFS, SMB or iSCSI.
If you want a backup service you have to create a jail or a virtual machine on the FreeNAS server to run your backup software.
In your specific case, you can create a jail on FreeNAS and install BackupPC inside.
You have to install BackupPC from scratch because the FreeNAS-11.2 official plugin is broken.

The main advantage of BackupPC are
  • free and open-source
  • agent-less (it uses smbclient or rsync to copy the file)
The drawbacks of BackupPC are
  • difficult to setup
  • no full image backup, only files. It means that it is not suitable for Active Directory Domain Controller or MS SQL Server.
Therefore, you can also consider Veeam Agent Free for Windows and Linux. It is an agent-based solution, but it is easier to setup, and it supports full image backup.

danb35

Hall of Famer
Really, it depends on how you want the FreeNAS box to operate. If you want it to back up all your client computers, then yes, they'll need some kind of software installed/configured to do that. But you could probably configure your ReadyNAS box to back up to the FreeNAS box using rsync.

Redcoat

MVP
Therefore, you can also consider Veeam Agent Free for Windows and Linux. It is an agent-based solution, but it is easier to setup, and it supports full image backup.

I second this suggestion. Easy to install and setup, easy to manage, easy to see and understand status, clear documentation, and free for personal use.

Redcoat

MVP
Sure.

1. Go to https://www.veeam.com/downloads.html?ad=top-sub-menu and download

1550677723679.png

2. Create an SMB share(s) on your FreeNAS box to receive the data from the Win machine(s).

3. Install Veeam Agent on each Win machine and configure the type and location of the backups you want, plus the desired schedule.

4. Test, fix as necessary.