SOLVED RSync from Old NAS to New FreeNAS

joltman

Dabbler
I've got an old OmniOS NAS I've setup. I've got rsync successfully working on that side, as I've backed up with it to Linux before. I've created new RSYNC Tasks in FreeNAS 11.2-U5.

Path To Be Copied: /mnt/media00/videos (dataset I created, permissions are NOBODY/NOBODY)
User: MyUser (same username and pass on the OmniOS box)
Remote Host: omnios-nas (I can ping this name from the FreeNAS CLI, so I know it's correct)
Rsync Mode: Rsync Module
Remote Module Name: Tank_Videos (confirmed in the rsync config file on OmniOS)
Direction: PULL (I want to copy FROM OmniOS TO FreeNAS
Schedule: Custom (0, 0, yadda) (This doesn't matter as I'm running the process manually)
Recursive: CHECK
Times: CHECK
Compress: CHECK
Delay Updates: Check

I run the task manually. Checking /var/log/messages doesn't show me anything on the FreeNAS side. Checking the OmniOS rsync log shows me:

2019/06/28 23:13:49 [12944] connect from nas01 (10.0.10.50)
2019/06/28 23:13:49 [12944] rsync on Tank_01_Videos/ from nas01 (10.0.10.50)
2019/06/28 23:13:49 [12944] building file list
2019/06/28 23:13:50 [12944] - 10.0.10.50 - .DS_Store
2019/06/28 23:13:50 [12944] sent 268296 bytes received 122 bytes total size 15557352657765

There are multiple terabytes of files in this location, and I've got no clue why only one is being sent, even though if I do an "ls -lha /mnt/media00/videos" I don't see that file (I only see a .windows file). Has anyone got any ideas on this? I really need to get data copied to this new pool and get it scrubbed. Thanks!

joltman

Dabbler
I've given up on Rsync. I'm assuming it's something stupid I'm doing. After some trial and error, I've got mbuffer installed on OmniOS using the "extra" pkg repo. I used these commands:

sudo pkg set-publisher -g https://pkg.omniosce.org/r151022/extra/ extra.omnios
sudo pkg refresh --full
Sudo pkg install mbuffer
vi .profile
Add to the PATH: /opt/ooce/mbuffer/bin
logout then back in

With that done, I can run ZFS SEND/RECV as root on OmniOS:

zfs send -R tank/MyUser@backup_20190629_1002 | mbuffer -s 128k -m 1G 2>/dev/null | ssh root@nas01 'mbuffer -q -s 128k -m 1G | zfs receive -F media00/MyUser'

averyfreeman

Contributor
sudo pkg set-publisher -g https://pkg.omniosce.org/r151022/extra/ extra.omnios

Good gosh, they're on 151032 now

You might have to upgrade it first (?) It probably has to do with the fact that the repo has moved now that the OmniOS codebase is being maintained by OmniOSCE instead of OmniIT

rsync seems to work fine for me in OmniOS, use it all the time between main server and FreeBSD backup drone

The people in the OmniOS Gitter room are super helpful

PS: Sorry I did not see this earlier, hope it still has a chance to help you

joltman

Dabbler
Good gosh, they're on 151032 now

You might have to upgrade it first (?) It probably has to do with the fact that the repo has moved now that the OmniOS codebase is being maintained by OmniOSCE instead of OmniIT

rsync seems to work fine for me in OmniOS, use it all the time between main server and FreeBSD backup drone

The people in the OmniOS Gitter room are super helpful

PS: Sorry I did not see this earlier, hope it still has a chance to help you
It's no problem. I even gave up on that route too. I just swapped both OmniOS pools into the FreeNAS chassis and they were detected just fine. They've been running perfectly for nearly a year.

averyfreeman

Contributor
It's no problem. I even gave up on that route too. I just swapped both OmniOS pools into the FreeNAS chassis and they were detected just fine. They've been running perfectly for nearly a year.

That's awesome!

I've tried going from FreeBSD --> OmniOS, no go. CentOS --> FreeBSD, also es no bueno. CentOS --> everything else = fine. It's the original codebase . . . Go figure.

I personally love OmniOS, it's the most "just works" OS I've ever used. Of course, I'm running an ESXi homelab, so I can run other VMs for other functions, which is basically Linux or FreeBSD for anything else specialized and Windows, MacOS or Ubuntu for desktops. If I was running OmniOS bare metal I might feel like I was missing something (tried lx zones, seemed buggy @~151028) but man, for AD SMB and NFS shares OmniOS can't be beat.

Good luck with everything :)