rsync from FreeNAS to a Synology Diskstation

Status
Not open for further replies.

PaulS

Cadet
Hi everyone, I am hoping someone may be able to give me some guidance on this. I am running a freenas server 9.2.1.8 with no issues. Using rsync between freenas boxes fine.

However I have a scenario where I would like to backup data to a Synology DS1513+ running DSM5. It seems the way DSM handles rsync modules is quite different, it appears they use a fixed "NetBackup" module for this, when I run my rsync task from the FreeNAS I always get a authentication error.
Have setup some identical root users on both machines which have read/write access to the shares but I can't seem to get it going.

I have read quite a few topics which refer to much older versions but can't find anything constructive that applies particularly to this setup.

If anyone has any experience doing this I would appreciate any help.

Thanks

RobertT

Explorer
can freenas mount the synology share?
if so you could (at least from command line) on freenas run rsync to the mounted share as if it was a local filesystem. It is not as efficient as doing local rsync to remote rsync because the one rsync copy is going to have to pull files over the wire to do checksums. If the files are all small though it shouldnt be too bad.

Dennis.kulmosen

Explorer
You can mount the synology with mount_smbfs to the FreeNAS, and then do the rsync in commandline. You should also be able make a cronjob for it too. :smile:
The DSM5.x has been somewhat crippled after they removed rsync server. That move makes me even more confident that going with FreeNAS is the best choice even if it costs more in terms of hardware. :smile:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PaulS

Cadet
Hi, thanks both for the advice. I did attempt to mount the synology from the freenas as suggested, however I still had authentication errors so I suspect something was off in the synology side. It was getting late also!

I won't have access to the setup again for a few days so will have another try with a fresh head.

Thanks again

GrumpyBear

Contributor
Hi everyone, I am hoping someone may be able to give me some guidance on this. I am running a freenas server 9.2.1.8 with no issues. Using rsync between freenas boxes fine.

However I have a scenario where I would like to backup data to a Synology DS1513+ running DSM5. It seems the way DSM handles rsync modules is quite different, it appears they use a fixed "NetBackup" module for this, when I run my rsync task from the FreeNAS I always get a authentication error.
Have setup some identical root users on both machines which have read/write access to the shares but I can't seem to get it going.

I have read quite a few topics which refer to much older versions but can't find anything constructive that applies particularly to this setup.

If anyone has any experience doing this I would appreciate any help.

Thanks
Resurrecting this old thread ...

The fix if your not using SSH is to use --password-file=<filename> In the additional options field, where <filename> Contains the password, in clear text, on the first line and the file is owned by the user specified and not readable by others via permissions (i.e. chmod 640 <filename>) see the rsync man page.

On the Synology side this tutorial will help but a gotcha for using the native rsync port is that since DSM 3.2 you need to edit /etc/rsyncd.secrets and replace the hashed password for the user running rsync with plain text as outlined here and on other sites.

Obviously not a good solution from a security perspective but will work in a pinch until SSH can be properly set up if you are running on a LAN and don't worry about your traffic being intercepted.

Constantin

Vampire Pig
Nice solution for what you may try to achieve.
It is a great solution regarding the safe transfer of the data. Just wondering if FreeNAS volumes stay encrypted or if the contents are stored in the clear on the target device? (i.e. the volume needs to be unlocked and the data therein is copied vs. the volume)

For me, ideally, Rsync would copy the encrypted volume...

styno

Patron
No, the data is copied from a volume to another volume, the transfer method (rsync) has nothing to do with how those volumes were initially created (encryption/raid levels/even nas vendor)...

Status
Not open for further replies.