RSYNC freenas 0.7.2 to Freenas 8.0

Status
Not open for further replies.

brokenegg

Cadet
I am having troubles setting up a RSYCN module and TASK.

What i am trying to do is setup a backup server. Our main host runs Freenas 0.7.2 and is stored in the building.

The 2nd freenas server has just been built and runs 8.02 and is stored outside of the building but is still on the local network via a wireless link.

I have set up a RSYNC module on the Internal system with the name of TEST

then on the external have set up a task to look at it IP with the MODUL name but cant seem to get any files to copy over.

Any help or guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Attached are photos of both settings.

Host .jpg Remote Receiver.jpg

Milhouse

Guru
Is your intention to "push" data from the FreeNAS 8.0.2 server to the FreeNAS 0.7.2 server, because that's what you're going to do with your current setup. FreeNAS 8.0.2 rsync tasks can only "push" data out to a remote server, they can't currently "pull" data from a remote server.

If instead you want to backup data from the FreeNAS 0.7.2 server to the FreeNAS 8.0.2 server, you have two choices: 1) Create a module on the 8.0.2 server and schedule an rsync client task on the 0.7.2 server that pushes data to the 8.0.2 rsync module, or 2) Create an rsync script that "pulls" data from the 0.7.2 module on to the 8.0.2 server - schedule the script using cron on the 8.0.2 server.

Be aware that rsync modules on 8.0.2 by default use anonymous authentication, and don't support ssh public key authentication, so if you're making your 8.0.2 server visible on the internet you should disable root password logins (switch to ssh for root access), and add strong rsync username/password authentication at the module level (not ideal, but the only alternative for now). If pulling data from the 0.7.2 server, consider making all access to the 0.7.2 server read-only.

evewes

Cadet
Hello
I was forced to upgrade harddisk to 2TB in freenas 7.latestbuild. It hanged in rsync with large jobs (i think) and after that in reboot it hanged in "loding config.. something". I upgraded to 8.latestbuild. Possibly i had to little ram 512MB-internal graphic 64MB i think.
No problems with freenas 8.x when only freenas 7.x as remote involved, but i got one windows server 2008R2 with deltacopy. Freenas pulls data from deltacopy and cannot push what i can see. What todo?

Status
Not open for further replies.