RSYNC Empty Folders

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thousandbuckle

Contributor
Hello all, I have setup my first RSYNC in FreeNAS 9.3 to sync between 2 FreeNAS boxes on the local LAN.

I have setup an RSYNC Task using the RSYNC module setup on the server and client. On the client side I have Recursive, Times, Compress, and Delay Updates enabled.

The RSYCN task started and is creating the folder structure on the target backup server but I dont see any files in the folders. The total dataset I am RSYNCing is 10.5TB and I see 1.5 TB in the target data set for the backup but dont see any files? How can I have 1.5TB of data but no files?

Second question is how can I see the overall progress of the RSYNC to see either amount of data copied, time left, current file being copied, etc.?

Spearfoot

He of the long foot

Thousandbuckle

Contributor
I found the missing data! It seems RSYNC creates the directory folder and inside that folder is a Hidden Folder called .~tmp~ which has the data for each folder. I think this might be caused by the "delay updates" option but not really sure what the advantage of this option is or does.

Anyone know what benefit of "delay updates" is?

Spearfoot

He of the long foot
I found the missing data! It seems RSYNC creates the directory folder and inside that folder is a Hidden Folder called .~tmp~ which has the data for each folder. I think this might be caused by the "delay updates" option but not really sure what the advantage of this option is or does.

Anyone know what benefit of "delay updates" is?
From the rsync docs, the '--delay-updates' option:
--delay-updates put all updated files into place at end

This option tells rsync to first copy all of the data to the target and only then put the updated files into place. So it copies files to the temporary directory you mentioned as part of this process. From your description, it sounds as though rsync is being interrupted before the process completes, leaving the temporary directory and contents in place.

Status
Not open for further replies.