Rsync between freenas boxes different sizes issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dave-g08

Dabbler
Hi all,

I recently built a new freenas box and decided to copy my data over using Rsync (module not ssh) but the directory on the new freenas box is twice the size as on the old one, 1.4tb vs 698gb.

I also got lots of the following errors:

freenas rsync: rsync: rename failed for "/mnt/Path/File.mp4" (from Path/.~tmp~/File.mp4): No such file or directory (2)

Does anyone know why this is? I read somewhere about sparse files, could this be the reason? Compression is turned off on both machines.

Also could I expect the same to happen if I used zfs replication?

Thanks for your help in advance!

Last edited:

Dave-g08

Dabbler
I've just look at the folder using shell and each file is duplicated e.g. File.avi and _File.avi.
When I open the folder via a share I only see the file.avi.

Is this due to the settings? Any help would be greatly appreciated

Morpheus187

Explorer
Is it possible that something with permissions is not right? I noticed that rsync is transferring a "tmp" file first and then it renames it, maybe that process partially failes because rsync can't delete the temporary file?
There is also a tickbox "Delete" when you set up the rsync task, this Option deletes all files on the target wich are not existing on the source side.

Dave-g08

Dabbler
Thanks Morpheus! I checked the delete option and it solved the issue. I'll check the permissions too.

Status
Not open for further replies.