Rsync Backup from Freenas to Thecus 7700

Status
Not open for further replies.

Andrew Traub

Cadet
Hi,

I'm having a hard time setting up rsync to push files from Freenas to a Thecus box and was hoping someone could help.

Problem 1:
Following the guide here: https://doc.freenas.org/9.3/freenas_tasks.html#rsync-over-ssh-mode I created a public/private key pair under the root account. However, I cannot paste the public key to the Thecus box. Instead, it requires me to upload the public key (which I copied into a text file) as well as the private key (which I have no idea how to view).

Problem 2:
I've enable SSH on the Thecus box. From what I can see, it uses "root" for the login name and I'm not sure I can change it. On the Rsync targer server side, it won't allow "root" as the username and so I'm using the name "Backup_sys". In the Freenas task setup, I can specify the Freenas user ("root") and the remote host ("Backup_sys@ip"). I've chosen rsync over SSH but don't see how to specify the ssh user to be "root" but the rsync user to be "Backup_sys".

Ben Jeffery

Cadet
Hi Andy,

You wont be able to change the SSH login name as this is related to the NAS security, you wont be able to change it.

If I am understanding your question correctly, there is no need to access SSH encryption, just go to the RSYNC section and then access Advanced settings to enable encryption.

Good luck. let me know how you go.

Attachments

• Rsync.png
    99.7 KB · Views: 613

Andrew Traub

Cadet
Thanks for the help. Your screenshot looks a bit different from the Thecus interface I have, but I believe the "Enable rSync service" has to be checked.

As for FreeNas, I'm getting a Remote Path error (see attached screenshot)

Attachments

• Freenas-rSync-Setup.png
    51.3 KB · Views: 586
Status
Not open for further replies.