root on zfs?

Status
Not open for further replies.

hai

Dabbler
Hi all,

I am quite new to FreeNAS. I set up a FreeBSD with root on zfs some time ago though. Now I wonder whether that is possible with FreeNAS as well.
Having a USB-drive only has some disadvantages. I am not even sure if that boots on my Dell R720. :(
Has anyone done that?

Thanx,

hai

cyberjock

Inactive Account
No. FreeNAS boots from a UFS partition. But, there's something in the works for going to ZFS for the boot device. I can't say much more or give an ETA.

hai

Dabbler
OK, thank you.
What is the best practise to avoid a desaster due to a faulty USB-drive then? Having two (and booting from the second one) and a backup of the configuration, etc on the zfs pool?
Or is it possible to have the system only on the USB while everything else is on zfs? Means configs, users and all that.
Last noob question :rolleyes: Is there a way to use a "normal" FreeBSD and on top of it the FreeNAS web interface? Probably not but it would be nice.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Follow the manual.. backup the config file and have a spare USB stick that you can install your version of FreeNAS on and do a restore.

No, everything goes on the USB stick except your data. Your config file has your user info, and they will be restored automatically.

That last question is "no". But you can run FreeBSD in a jail and play with it to your heart's content.

hai

Dabbler
Thanks again.
Well, the problem is that I can't just pop a new stick into the machine as it is far away. Another consideration is HA. I couldn't find anything helpful though. FreeNAS and carp?

A jail doesn't help. The problem is that you can do everything with FreeBSD (zfs on root, bacula + tape drive, whatever makes sense on a fileserver) but no beautiful web interface. FreeNAS has that but you are very limited if you can't use a jail. OK, I see the point. It is a NAS only and well tuned for that task.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Well, I've never had a USB stick fail in my 2 years of building FreeNAS boxes. I use Corsair Voyagers if you are curious.

As for the jail, FreeNAS is an appliance. As soon as you start talking about installing stuff in FreeNAS yourself, you are setting yourself up for failure. You shouldn't be trying to install anything on the USB stick. Lots of people have, and most have had serious problems later.

It sounds more and more like you may want to go with full fledged FreeBSD.

hai

Dabbler
Which doesn't mean that it can happen. Hardware fails sooner or later. I mean you have that great and reliable zfs and then just one lousy stick. OK, I just put in two sticks then. Kingston DTSE9 here. Btw, what about SSDs and then as a (hardware) mirror? Sorry, if I wander a bit.

Yeah, I know you wouldn't tinker about on an appliance. That just does not make sense.

Well, don't get me wrong. I'd really like to use FreeNAS and I definitely give that a try first but if FreeBSD means the needed leeway then that. I just saw that TrueNAS has mirrored boot devices and HA ;)

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Some people do SSD.. but I'd never do hardware RAID at all.

The only way you'll get TrueNAS is if you buy the system straight from iX...

hai

Dabbler
I have FreeNAS on a hardware RIAD1 now. That just feels better than one USB stick.
I saved the config on the zfs pool and now I am golden ;)
Thanks,

hai

cyberjock

Inactive Account
LOL.. Well, good luck with that... /smh

Status
Not open for further replies.