Resource icon

Reverse Proxy using Caddy (with optional automatic TLS)

victort

Guru
Code:
{"level":"error","ts":1663338034.5880609,"logger":"tls.obtain","msg":"will retry","error":"[my.domain.ca] Obtain: [my.domain.ca] solving challenges: waiting for solver certmagic.solverWrapper to be ready: checking DNS propagation of _acme-challenge.my.domain.ca: NS my.my.cloudflare.com. returned SERVFAIL for _acme-challenge.my.domain.ca. (order=https://acme-staging-v02.api.letsencrypt.org/acme/order/68792424/4099082804) (ca=https://acme-staging-v02.api.letsencrypt.org/directory)","attempt":1,"retrying_in":60,"elapsed":7.476983261,"max_duration":2592000}

danb35

Hall of Famer
That's strange. What happens if you run dig @my.my.cloudflare.com txt _acme-challenge.my.domain.ca? Other errors wouldn't surprise me, but SERVFAIL doesn't seem like it should be happening.

victort

Guru
That's strange. What happens if you run dig @my.my.cloudflare.com txt _acme-challenge.my.domain.ca? Other errors wouldn't surprise me, but SERVFAIL doesn't seem like it should be happening.
Not getting errors when doing this. Everything appears valid.

victort

Guru
Does the caddy instance itself need to be in the Caddyfile?

It isn’t right now. I only have two other instances (truenas,plcdevice) configured.

It works when forwarding ports to caddy…so that part works.

danb35

Hall of Famer
There is no "for itself" to get a cert for--Caddy obtains (or tries to obtain) certs for FQDNs you specify in the Caddyfile (or in the JSON configuration if you want to be hard core). I'm not sure what else to suggest here--you may need to check in the Caddy forum.

victort

Guru
Excellent work.

1. So to update, since caddys files are all in the mount point, I can just rebuild another jail, after having renamed or deleted the only one.

2. Is it possible to just do reverse proxy internally without TLS (http to https redirect)?

3. How do I renew a cert manually to see if caddy is still able to do it after changing DNS rules? To confirm proper cert renewal.

4. Does it matter if the app it’s redirecting to has a self signed cert?

danb35

Hall of Famer
1. So to update, since caddys files are all in the mount point, I can just rebuild another jail, after having renamed or deleted the only one.
You could do that, or you could just install upgrades in the jail itself.
2. Is it possible to just do reverse proxy internally without TLS (http to https redirect)?
I'm not quite sure what you're asking here. If you don't want Caddy to use HTTPS for a hostname, just specify port 80 for that host.
3. How do I renew a cert manually to see if caddy is still able to do it after changing DNS rules? To confirm proper cert renewal.
I'm not aware of a mechanism Caddy has for this.
4. Does it matter if the app it’s redirecting to has a self signed cert?
If that app is using HTTPS, it will cause an error. You can configure Caddy to ignore that if you wish.

danb35

Hall of Famer

dfrey18

Cadet
I'm definitely a novice here, sorry. I'm trying to install caddy to reverse proxy jellyfin to my domain. I get an error when trying to run the script ./caddy-jail.sh. Any help is appreciated!

JAIL_INTERFACES not set, defaulting to: vnet0:bridge0
caddy successfully created!

Stopped caddy due to VNET failure
Failed to create jail

victort

Guru
I'm definitely a novice here, sorry. I'm trying to install caddy to reverse proxy jellyfin to my domain. I get an error when trying to run the script ./caddy-jail.sh. Any help is appreciated!

JAIL_INTERFACES not set, defaulting to: vnet0:bridge0
caddy successfully created!

Stopped caddy due to VNET failure
Failed to create jail
What does your config file look like?

danb35

Hall of Famer
JAIL_IP="192.168.1.2"
DEFAULT_GW_IP="192.168.0.1"
That's not going to work--your gateway needs to be on the same network as your jail.

victort

Guru
That's not going to work--your gateway needs to be on the same network as your jail.
And if it is then you forgot to add the /23 at the back of your IP. The script defaults to /24 if you don’t add that.

dfrey18

Cadet
I'm pretty sure they are both on the same network, my home network. I only have one network as far as I know, my LAN. How can you tell if they're not on the same network?
And if it is then your forgot to add the /23 at the back of your IP. The script defaults to /24 if you don’t add that.
I didn't forget, rather I didn't even know I was supposed to. I added /23 to the back of both the jail IP and the gateway IP and got the same error.

JAIL_IP="192.168.1.2/23"
DEFAULT_GW_IP="192.168.0.1/23"

Did I do that incorrectly maybe?

danb35

Hall of Famer
How can you tell if they're not on the same network?
You really need to read up on IP subnetting, in which respect Google will be your friend. But in short, unless you've set things up in a very unusual way (and if you'd deliberately done so, you should already know all of this), 192.168.0.x is a separate network from 192.168.1.x--those are both Class C subnets, with 24-bit netmasks. If you're running devices on more than one network, you'd need something to route between those two. It's possible--but frankly bizarre, and technically invalid--to set yourself up with, say, a 23-bit subnet, but I can't think of any reason you'd want to do so; if you need more than ~200 devices on a single network, just use one of the Class B ranges in 172.16.0.0/12.

tl;dr: if your router is at 192.168.0.1, everything on your network should probably have an address of 192.168.0.x.

danb35

Hall of Famer
And if it is then you forgot to add the /23 at the back of your IP.
Though it's possible, isn't this an invalid configuration? 192.168.foo is a Class C range, which should have subnets of 8 bits or fewer. I'm not even sure the router would recognize it, though that might depend on the router @dfrey18 is using.