Votes: 5 83.3%
  • FreeNAS VM

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Separate Box

Votes: 1 16.7%

• Total voters

Simon Mackenzie

Dabbler
What are the pros and cons for setting up a reverse proxy in either a Jail, VM or separate box to service a number of sub domains in separate Jails and VM's?
Eg.
  • nextcloud.domain.world
  • moodle.domain.world
  • blog.domain.world
  • coppermine.domain.world
Etc. all serviced through a reverse proxy.

Would it be reasonable to use a jail for the reverse proxy?
Or should I use a VM?
Or is it just good practice to use a separate box setup for the reverse proxy?

Thanks in advance for your help.

adrianwi

Guru
I've got jail configured as a reverse proxy which also generates and auto renews the SSL certificates. It's redirecting to several other jails for Nextcloud, emby, WordPress, Home Assistant, and Calibre and a few docker containers in an Ubuntu VM.

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
I've got jail configured as a reverse proxy which also generates and auto renews the SSL certificates. It's redirecting to several other jails for Nextcloud, emby, WordPress, Home Assistant, and Calibre and a few docker containers in an Ubuntu VM.
Same here, works great for me.

Simon Mackenzie

Dabbler
So is it the case that running a reverse proxy in a jail is not going to be any significantly less secure on the WAN side than running a reverse proxy on a separate box to service subdomains residing in other jails and VMs?

ByteNick

Explorer
I have that as well, but I cannot make hassio.mydomain.com to work.
I installed Hass.io in a VM in FreeNAS 11.2-U3 running Ubuntu Server 18.04.
Any ideea how and what I should configure?
Please note that the rest (cloud.mydomain.com, plex.mydomain.com etc.) works.

adrianwi

Guru
Not sure, but if you're just running the Ubuntu VM for Hass.io have you considered running it in a jail?

There is a great guide here for getting it up and running using iocage.

ByteNick

Explorer
Not sure, but if you're just running the Ubuntu VM for Hass.io have you considered running it in a jail?

There is a great guide here for getting it up and running using iocage.
Hass.io in a jail?
I do not think it is possible.

sretalla