Resuming ZFS Send/Receive

Status
Not open for further replies.

Halk

Dabbler
I've just switched to FreeNAS at the same time as doing an upgrade on my storage. I'm trying to move the data from a damaged but functional Z2 pool to a new Z2 pool.

I had used the command zfs send -Rv oldpool@snapshot | zfs receive -Fdu newpool

I have found references to it being possible to resume, but I don't seem able to get it resumed.

https://i.imgur.com/1OV9LNq.png

That's the error message I'm getting. It seems to me that it wants confirmation to override, which I don't want to do since there's already 18TB copied across.

I'm baffled as to how I can get it to resume and I'm worried because the old array isn't safe, and I want to get my data safe onto the new array.

Halk

Dabbler
Ah. Well. It looks like the data that has been transferred should be scrapped then since I didn't start it with the option to resume.

I'm a bit wary about trying again and hoping it doesn't fail and if it does the -s flag could work.

Could you suggest a different way to do it within freeNAS that would allow me to resume if it craps out? Could/would rsync do it? I've used that previously on debian before moving to freenas.

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
Rsync will certainly put the data there... and can be resumed as it just rebuilds the list, making a comparison to what's already there.

fracai

Guru
rsync would work and can be resumed. It's obviously not the same as a replication, but if you're just doing this to get the data across and don't care about being able to replicate in the future, it'll work just fine.

Halk

Dabbler
Is that what you'd recommend? I'm in a bit of a fix just now... the old Z2 array started failing and rather than buy 2 drives for an an array that I do want to replace, and with other drives that might fail it seemed best to get the new array and then move from basically trying to do what FreeNAS does in Debian to FreeNAS... I've picked up a bit of a stomach bug, I'm super busy at work and I'm a little stressed that my data might end up being lost, so trying to minimise risk with it. The drives came on Monday and I've just had a few hours after work each night trying to get things sorted.

Completely the wrong time to get my head around FreeNAS but I've ended up in this position anyway.

I'm after whatever is the best way in FreeNAS to copy the data from one Z2 array to the new Z2 array that I'd be able to resume should it crap out again.

sretalla