Manual ZFS send and receive

Status
Not open for further replies.

webdawg

Contributor
I am trying to do a manual send and receive between two boxes via command line. I usually do an initial ZFS send and then send incremental after that.

After I send the initial stream I set the filesystem to read only on the destination.

But when I send the incremental I get:

cannot receive incremental stream: destination eh/data has been modified
since most recent snapshot

The send box is OpenIndiana and receive is FreeNAS.

emk2203

Guru
After I send the initial stream I set the filesystem to read only on the destination.

But when I send the incremental I get:

cannot receive incremental stream: destination eh/data has been modified
since most recent snapshot
Isn't the setting to read-only the modification in question? Or in other words, what happens when you don't set the destination to r/o?

wblock

Documentation Engineer
If you want it read-only (not required), create an empty dataset to receive the snapshots before sending, then set that to read-only. How current is the OpenIndiana system? Recent?

webdawg

Contributor
The OI system is fairly recent. It is hipster but it needs updated.

I just did as you mentioned, set read only first, I will let it go and see what results tommorow.

My plan is to move everything over to FreeNAS and I have been told by a FreeNAS expert that a send and receive between these systems will work, but I plan on checking the data after transfer just in case.

In the past I set readonly after and did not have an issue, I wonder what the problem is.

PhilipS

Contributor
Something must have changed on the receive side (atime on a file perhaps?) - you could perform a zfs diff if you want to find out. If you don't care and you just want the incremental snapshot to send, then add a -F on the zfs receive which will force a rollback.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.