Restricting Deleting Files: AFP Shares and CIFS Shares

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gamer0126

Dabbler
Hello All,
I have been able to build a FreeNAS box and create shares for both MAC and Windows. However I would like to know how to restriction the shares so that a few select users can write to shared folders but not delete files? I am not sure if this is possible. Any help would be appreciated. I am running FreeNAS 9.10 Stable. If I need to provide any other information please tell me.

Thanks,

pasiz

Explorer
So you mean creator cannot delete file. Why allow write but not deletion?

Gamer0126

Dabbler
The reason being we have a ton of family pictures, movies, and our recorded music. I would not want my wife or I to delete some of those files by accident, my wife has done this in the past. For her personal dataset I wouldn't want this rule but for the family pictures, movies and music. I would prefer to avoid losing any pictures of friends and family members that are no longer with us.

Gamer0126

Dabbler
I still want the ability to upload files to the folder and write to it. If there is a way to have the permission to write but not delete is the direct question.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
This isn't very doable.

However, you can just setup several snapshot tasks to better protect against accidental deletions and stuff.

Stux

MVP
Permanent snapshots would be one approach too. After all, you're never deleting so the snapshots won't use space.

I believe delete is a Windows acl privelledge, which means you should be able to revoke it using the Windows permissions system.

Of course you can still set the length of a file to zero.

Status
Not open for further replies.