Restoring from Backblaze B2

tcochunk

Cadet
I am totally new to freenas (and non-windows operating systems) so please be patient with my ignorance and mistakes. I recently built a freenas server to host all my families data (movies, pictures, general files, etc).

I have 1 pool with about 8 datasets that are shared across my network as windows shares that I want to backup to Backblaze B2. I have created a B2 bucket for each share so the backup schedules can vary. When i created the cloud sync task i choose to encrypt the file and the filename.

My questions are:

How do i restore the files?
How do i know which file to restore?

B2 says the freenas integration should provide the restore capability but i dont know how to do that. Additionally with the filenames encrypted, i dont know which file to restore. I am willing to forgo the encrypted file names but the files must be encrypted.

thank you for your help.

tcochunk

Cadet
realizing that B2 integration depends on rclone??, I used the rclone command to decrypt the filenames with some flags that i don't remember. I assumed that i would be able to download and decrypt the files as well but did not actually do it. i then had the thought that freenas should be able to restore the files for me, i created another sync task but pulled the data instead of pushed the data. this retrieved my data and decrypted it for me.

so using the info from part 1 (learning how to decrypt the filenames) i am able to restore the data for a particular folder within my dataset.

this still seems a little clunky but it will fundamentally meet my requirements of a backup.

thank you for asking and thank you for a great product. I have learned so much over the last 6 months preparing to build my NAS.

ps - I was hoping to get cyberjock to respond. it would have been like being killed by ninja - a great honor. :smile:

switzc

Cadet
Hello!
In my configuration I used zvolume to provide access through iscsi for windows virtual machine on Hyper-V. What will the recovery procedure from the B2 cloud look like in my case? I will need to download the entire section of zvolume (size ~3Tb)?

KazuyaDarklight

Dabbler
Hello!
In my configuration I used zvolume to provide access through iscsi for windows virtual machine on Hyper-V. What will the recovery procedure from the B2 cloud look like in my case? I will need to download the entire section of zvolume (size ~3Tb)?

I admit I'm not positive, but from what I've seen, I'd expect yes.