Restoring Configuration after OS Drive Failure and TrueNAS upgrade

Gitryst

Dabbler
Newbie here - USB OS drive failed recently so I installed TrueNAS onto to mirrored SSDs (should have done this the first time.) Imported the ZFS pool which can be seen in the GUI with original data folder and jails showing the near terabyte of data in the pool. But no jails or users shares are configured, so the Apple and Samba shares are no longer accessible via the network. I never performed a backup of the configuration but understand it may be stored in the pool. The questions are: How can it be accessed to be restored? Can a configuration of an older version of FreeNAS even be imported into TrueNAS? Or do I have to reconfigure the jails and shares and if so, will I be able to access the data on the pool to reconstruct them? I am hoping there is a config file that can restore the previous configuration, but have searched high and low for how to do this to no avail. Also one of the pool disks is failing so that has to be replaced, but I would prefer to restore the configuration before rebuilding the pool, if possible. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• TrueNAS.png
    TrueNAS.png
    64 KB · Views: 367

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
OK, try looking at this:
zfs list | grep .system

Gitryst

Dabbler
OK, try looking at this:
zfs list | grep .system
Hi, Thanks so much for the response. Evidently there are a couple of .system/config files... Any suggestions on how to import them to restore the configuration prior to upgrade/disk replacement?

Attachments

• 20210309_105258.jpg
    20210309_105258.jpg
    306.2 KB · Views: 326

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
You will need to see if that dataset is mounted (it will be under /var/db/system/)

If it's there, navigate under it to the appropriate version and take a copy of the .db file.

I have never personally done that, but I think it's as simple as then choosing to Upload the config (that .db file) from System | General.

If it's not mounted, we can talk about how we might get that to happen.

Gitryst

Dabbler
/var/db/system/

yields:

zsh: permission denied: /var/db/system/

Suggestions?

Thanks so much for your responses!

Redcoat

MVP

Gitryst

Dabbler
Thanks for all your help everyone! I decided to rebuild the shares (there were only a few). The same with the jails. File Server and Plex are the main applications in use, so in the end this seemed to be the simpler route. I will have to remember to save the configuration and a backup in an accessible location this time. It seems like there should be a way to extract a file from the pool in the GUI without having to import it form outside the server but my knowledge is limited in this regard.

sretalla