Compleet upgrade machine and added storage drive. How to proceed.

Forssux

Explorer
Hi There,

A newer machine awaits me with extra HD slot.

I booted the machine with TrueNAS Core 12.0-U7 and that seems okay.
But of course TrueNAS is al about the data.

I can't wait till august until the upgrade z1 pool with 1 HD comes to life.
I have a pool of 7 drives of 4TB and I want the 8th drive into the pool.

So if I'm correct I need to start with a pool of 8 drives and copy over the data from the backups.

My questions is: Can I backup the configuration , but I als have 2 plugins occupying the iocage.

Is restoring the config tar file sufficient to have the same full configuration?
Is restoring the config file also not restoring the pool config and thus reverting to a 7 pool?
How do I build the bigger pool and keep the iocage?
Is a simple replication task of the iocage dataset sufficient?
Is copying over the data via MC itself suffienct?

Please advice on a total upgrade of machine.
Regards Guy

R.G.

Explorer
I share your pain. I found your post after posting almost exactly the same question. I want to "pour" my existing FreeNAS 11.1 U7 into a completely new machine on TrueNAS 12. So I have been researching this forum and others for answers.
I think, but do not know for certain:
Is restoring the config tar file sufficient to have the same full configuration?
Probably not entirely. I think that all the stuff just about the NAS configuration - network setup, users, services setup, all the stuff except the storage, is detailed in the configuration file. An exception is (if I understand what I read) that plugins/jails may not work or may not work correctly by doing this. I only have one plugin/jail, and I'm planning to remove it.

Is restoring the config file also not restoring the pool config and thus reverting to a 7 pool?
Probably not. I think that all of the pool configuration is stored inside the pool itself. My plan is to set both machines running, make an 8-disk pool in the new machine, then move the data to the new machine/pool by a replication task.

How do I build the bigger pool and keep the iocage?
I don't know. I see a lot of posts on the forum saying that a move made the jails/iocage/etc not work. Upgrading the release level, as in 11 to 12, seems to break jails because the jails/plugin model is different in the underlying FreeBSD releases that Free/TrueNAS is based on.
I think...
This is not the focus of my machine upgrade, as I only have Plex installed, and I don't use it and want to remove it. So whether it works or not after the replication is not something I've studied in any depth.

Is a simple replication task of the iocage dataset sufficient?
I think it is not, based on reading many forum posts.

Is copying over the data via MC itself suffienct?
I don't know what "MC" is in this context, so I have no information on this at all.

Best of luck to you. I wish I could help more.

sretalla