replication vs rsync

Status
Not open for further replies.

alberte

Cadet
can someone provide with some details concerning the usage of each? when would i choose rsync vs replication? what are the pros and cons?

Milhouse

Guru
Replication uses ZFS snapshots. Rsync uses the rsync protocol. Both can transfer data to remote systems using "deltas", ie. differences (additions, deletions, modifications etc.) so that you minimise the amount of data transferred across the network.

If you are transferring data to another ZFS system, then Replication would make the most sense, but if you are transferring data to a non-ZFS system then rsync is your only option.

James Snell

Explorer
Will ZFS Replication only copy Snapshot deltas?? Cause that's what mine's doing and it seems kind of useless if all the src data isn't copied..?

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Please don't go necroing threads. This one is from 2011 and shouldn't be necroed with a question.

James Snell

Explorer
Howdy Cyberjack.. I wager to guess you're the proprietor of this fine digital establishment.. Perhaps you might have a means of auto-closing discussion on old topics? In the case of this one, the question would seem to remain a current question had by many... Annnnyway.. Moving on...

cyberjock

Inactive Account
I'm not the proprietor, just one of the highest users of the forum. I don't like to auto-close old discussions because sometimes people show up with alot of very insightful knowledge of a situation that has plagued users for months. Leaving threads open lets people add information. I trust that users can refrain from necro'ing dozens of threads on accident ;)

I've necro'd a thread or two on accident. Almost did it the other day. I just try to make sure we don't have a forum of new posts asking or answering questions for very old FreeNAS versions that have had those issues/bugs resolved already.

Status
Not open for further replies.