Replication to Single drive Bit Rot protected?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Catsrules

Dabbler
I have a Raidz1 volume on my main Freenas server. That volume is replicated another freenas server to a Single large drive. Oviously the Raidz1 volume is protected againced bit rot but what type of protection (if any) is on that single drive?

I am just wondering if somehow the replication could detect/fix the bit rot.

Thanks.

Stux

MVP
Scrub after replication will detect bitrot.

Stux

MVP
Not necessarily. If you rolled back to the previous snapshot as part of the replication, it would.

If you're using ECC the bitrot should not happen as part of replication

rs225

Guru
It manifests in two ways, practically speaking. Corruption in the copying process (most commonly via USB), and slow degradation of the sector which eventually shows up as a read error when the built in drive error correction can't correct.

The 'bit-rot' that people imagine when you say 'bit-rot' doesn't really exist. If the bits are rotten, you get a read error (not corruption). And if the bits are wrong, it's because they were copied that way. (and ZFS should let you know.... with an I/O error.)

To address a corruption in your example, the easiest way would be to re-copy the source data on the source, so that it would be replicated again in the next snapshot.

Last edited:

Stux

MVP
ZFS gives you 'bit rot' aka data corruption detection, and if there is available redundancy, then correction when the data is read again, and that happens as part of a scrub.

Catsrules

Dabbler
ZFS gives you 'bit rot' aka data corruption detection, and if there is available redundancy, then correction when the data is read again, and that happens as part of a scrub.

And my primary server counts as redundancy in the case of my backup server. Correct?

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
No, but you can transfer the data to the backup again.

Now that I think about it, it'd be nice if zfs recv could automagically do this, assuming send on the other side sent the relevant snapshot. Still a pain in the ass, but on average it's half the pain...

Status
Not open for further replies.