Unraid flexible expandability with TrueNAS ZFS anti-bit-rot?

truenasfan

Cadet
I recently learned that Unraid doesn't actually protect against bit-rot. I love the concept behind Unraid of being able to essentially infinitely grow and expand the array in a somewhat arbitrary manner, but the bit-rot situation just punched me in the gut and sent me running towards TrueNAS SCALE.

It seems like ideally a good filesystem (like ZFS) could be used on each disk, scrubbed regularly and then the system continue to offer this freeform scalability. BTRFS doesn't seem as safe and there are too many horror stories.

To be honest, SnapRAID (https://www.snapraid.it/compare) seems as though it could be used in conjunction with ZFS and the great interface of TrueNAS SCALE to help make this really shine.

With the new path of TrueNAS SCALE, it seems like this concept that Unraid has taken advantage of for so long would really fit in well!

Couple that with ZFS scrubbing and silent corruption protection, it would be a no brainer and I think folks would jump ship on Unraid en masse.

One reason this seems pretty darn attractive is for scenarios such as Chia farming and other scenarios. It really opens up the demographics.

sretalla