Not open for further replies.

Theapplefuture

Dabbler
Hallo everybody,

I just Built my own FreeNAS Server With the following components:
- 32GB Reg ECC RAM (RDIMM) By Kingston
- Intel Xeon E5-2620 v4
- Asus X99-E WS

First of all i just want it to use as a file server to store all my data and protect them against bit rot (and I’m also running a Plex jail to stream files to my devices).

With DmiDecode I got the message that there is a total bandwidth of 72 and and a Data width of 72 as well.
With MemTest86+ I got the message that there is ECC enabled (scrubbing) and that ECC polling is enabled too but ECC injection is disabled.

In FreeNAS I set a raid-z2 over my six HDDs and got a compression inherit (lz4).

My first question is now does this configuration fully protects me against bit rot or do I need to activate more features?

Second question I only use my server via AFP to copy files from my Mac onto the server.
Do I need something like FTP or scrubbing or something else?

I hope you can help me, I’m not really known with FreeNAS and ZFS yet.
Also excuse my English but it’s not my mother tongue.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

dlavigne

My First question is now does this configuration fully protects me against it rot or do i need to activate more features ?

OpenZFS does this automatically as it checksums every block that is written and checks the checksum for every block as it is read.

Second question i only use my server via AFP to copy files from my Mac onto the server.
Do I need something like FTP or scrubbing or something else ?

Yes, you should set a scrub schedule as this will check all disk blocks, including those that haven't been read recently.

A good overview is at http://doc.freenas.org/11/zfsprimer.html.

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
My First question is now does this configuration fully protects me against it rot or do i need to activate more features ?
You are as protected as possible because ZFS creates checksum values for data written to the pool and verifies the data is correct when it is retrieved.
Second question i only use my server via AFP to copy files from my Mac onto the server.
Do I need something like FTP or scrubbing or something else ?
No, FTP is not required for file transfer, but scrubbing the storage pool is a totally separate issue from file transfer.

Theapplefuture

Dabbler
First thank you for your fast replies.
Did I understand it right that scrubs are to check my data which hasn’t been read in a while if they are ‘safe’?
And how often do I need to scrub once in a month or more/less?

And can I also be sure that Ecc is enabled in FreeNAS if it is in MemTest?

(P.S.: sorry for the dumb questions I know, just want to be sure).

Last edited by a moderator:

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
Did I unterstand it right that scrubs are to check my data which hasn’t been read in a while if they are ‘safe’ ?
And how often do I need to scrub once in a month or more/less ?
The process of 'scrubbing' the storage reads all the data and compares it to the checksum value to ensure the data on disk has not been damaged by deterioration of the disk. This is to ensure the data is still safe. I have scheduled my scrubs for once a month.

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer

Theapplefuture

Dabbler
Alright I will go through this, thank you.

last question - does freenas offer something like an energy saving mode ?
For example during the night the server will not be used so It could go into some kind of sleep mode ?
Or does the server has be active 24/7 to check for bit rot?

danb35

Hall of Famer
It's worth pointing out that FreeNAS schedules a scrub by default, every six weeks. IMO, it should be run more often; I set mine for every two weeks. But even if you don't do anything, your system will run scrubs from time to time.

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
last question - does freenas offer something like an energy saving mode ?
For example during the night the server will not be used so It could go into some kind of sleep mode ?
Or does the server has be active 24/7 to check for bit rot?
There are a lot of little adjustments that must be done to make the system able to spin the disks down and if you search the forum you will find were others have documented these steps. If you are running your drives on a SATA controller, it should be easy enough to do, but I leave my system fully awake all the time because I schedule the maintenance tasks for the times when I am not using the system.

Status
Not open for further replies.