Replication - Failed: cannot open remote dataset

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matt Tyree

Explorer
I am attempting to set up my first replication task on my first FreeNAS build.
I thought I had it all figured out, but I have hit this error when the rep task tries to run: Failed: cannot open 'Vol4TB/Backups4TB/Backups': dataset does not exist

The odd thing is that /Backups on the end. That is not part of what I have set up. It is adding that on its own.
In the rep task settings I have this for the local dataset: MainStack/Backups
And for the Remote dataset I have: Vol4TB/Backups4TB

So, why is it adding the /Backups on the end?

Thanks!

Stux

MVP
the dataset is copied into the destination dataset, rather than replacing the destination dataset

thus replicating "tank/dataset" into "other-tank/backups" will make the data set "other-tank/backups/dataset"

Matt Tyree

Explorer
Gotcha. So do I need to create the Backups dataset on the PULL end? If it's supposed to create it automatically, why is it saying it can't find it?

Matt Tyree

Explorer
Got it working. I was trying to use a user other than root, but that wasn't working. I copied the public key to the root user on the PULL box and then removed the dedicated user setting from the replication task on PUSH and now it works.

Now to figure out how to set up a VPN on PULL so I can hit it remotely, yet securely. So much to learn!!!

nojohnny101

Wizard
@Matt Tyree
Now to figure out how to set up a VPN on PULL so I can hit it remotely, yet securely. So much to learn!!!
I found setting up a remote replication task over SSH to be quite straightforward and easy to setup. You might look into that.

Matt Tyree

Explorer
@Matt Tyree
I found setting up a remote replication task over SSH to be quite straightforward and easy to setup. You might look into that.
That's what I have running now. I just SSH in on a non-standard port to prevent most of the random hack attempts and I also set it up for key access only (no password auth). And then I set up http access via a non-standard port as well. Both work. I just have no remote access to the SMB shares.

nojohnny101

Wizard

Matt Tyree

Explorer
I followed this guide in setting up remote access to my shares (which I rarely need anyways, but nice to have).
@Glorious1 guide to remotely and securely accessing server
Yeah, I referenced this guide quite a bit to get as far as I have, but as a noob I got pretty confused and overwhelmed on a lot of it. He's also using a Mac, which further mystified it for me (not a Unix guy...at all). I will revisit it and see what I can figure out.

The section on Regular File Browsing and Manipulation seems to be all CLI. Which displays a generous amount of question marks over my head. :-D

[EDIT]: Turns out the Windows process is fairly convoluted. Like this. Have to install a loopback adapter and do some other hacking to make it work. I'll just use WinSCP.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.