Replication Tasks sending snapshot but no data on destination

Status
Not open for further replies.

aphmatt

Cadet
i have 2 boxes: freenas1 and freenas2 running 11.1-U2 and 11.1-U4 respectively.

1 is the primary box and has all our shares. 2 is used for replication. When i set this up last year, i somehow got them working where 1 is doing snapshots daily and replication tasks are pushing them over to 2 every night. I can browse to the files on 2 and see all the files happily residing in identical directory structure.

We are trying to organize a bit more and we've created a different structure on 1 with a root share, lets call it freenas1shares/. All the new volumes are now beneath

mnt/myvol/freenas1shares/share1
mnt/myvol/freenas1shares/share2
mnt/myvol/freenas1shares/share3

previous shares are on the freenas1shares level (though some of them do have sub folders which replicate fine).

I create Periodic snapshots tasks on 1 for the new shares and it takes. I setup identical volumes on 2 (using the freenas documentation for repluser - again, this still works great on the original rep tasks i created) and setup a replication task to send from 1 to 2 and i'm able to create the task successfully. It kicks in fairly quickly and then status = Failed: path (snapshot name).

However, I go into 2 and notice that the snapshot has indeed been sent. I see it in the Snapshots list. And then, I go back into 1 replication tasks and the Status of the new task is "Up to date" and the "last snapshot sent to remote side" = Not ran since boot.

Now, I open the shell and browse to the Volumes I've created for this and they are blank. All the other rep tasks i've created in the past contain the files that are on 1 and are still working... not sure what I'm doing wrong. I've set this up dozens of times in the last 2 days and I'm out of ideas.

Hopefully I'm making sense. When I first set this all up it was 11.0 (not sure exactly which). Again, the original rep tasks I've created are still humming along and working well.

Matt

PhilipS

Contributor
Most likely the parent dataset of your replication target is read only so the child datasets are unable to be mounted so you can't "see" them in the shell.

aphmatt

Cadet
i purposefully made the parent (above example, freenas1shares) readonly = off from the start.

enry

Dabbler
I'm having the same problem. The GUI shows that storage is being used, but from the shell there's nothing.

aphmatt

Cadet
Just for the record, I followed the instructions in the documentation for version 11.

in the above structure (mnt/myvol/freenas1shares/share1) i had to make the dedicated replication user the owner of the frenas1shares directory in order for this to work.

In the instructions it has the step for performing the zfs commands on the directories which gives the dedicated rep user the rights it needs:

zfs allow -ldu repluser create,destroy,diff,mount,readonly,receive,release,send,userprop myvol/freenas1shares

and then the zfs command to set it to readonly and i followed both steps so i don't understand why i needed to make the rep user the owner of the parent directory.

I was able to find in the debug.log that i was getting "access denied" all over the place in regards to these new directories which lead me to messing with ownership.

Did I do something wrong that i had to make the repluser the owner?

Status
Not open for further replies.