Replacing drives

Status
Not open for further replies.

afmiller

Contributor
So my current is 5x 2tb drives. FreeNAS is starting to spit out errors on the one drive. Is there any issues / concerns if I replace it with a 3tb drive? I can get - 3tb drive for the same cost if would be for a 2tb. I was thinking I could do this as drives start going then eventually once all 5 drives are 3tb if possible expand it

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
Yep, can replace them with larger drives. Once they are all replaced and resilvered you can expand the pool as per the documentation. Or just create a second pool and transfer the data over so that you lose the fragmentation.

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
So my current is 5x 2tb drives. Freenas is starting to spit out errors on the one drive. Is there any issues / concerns if I replace it with a 3tb drive? I can get - 3tb drive for the same cost if would be for a 2tb. I was thinking I could do this as drives start going then eventually once all 5 drives are 3tb if possible expand it

Thanks
I would suggest going to 4TB drives, the 3TB drives are not really a good value, in my opinion...
Have a look at this resource and decide for yourself:
https://forums.freenas.org/index.ph...e-performance-analysis-buying-information.62/

Once you replace all the drives (one at a time) with larger drives the pool should automatically expand. I have done it a couple times, first when I went from 1TB drives to 2TB drives several years ago and again more recently when I replaced all the drives in one vdev with 4TB drives.

afmiller

Contributor
I would go for 4TB drives normally. But I can snag 3TBs for $49 with a 3yr warranty. The 4TB is over double the cost. So getting the deal while it lasts

Thank you Chris and nightshade for answering my question

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
Well, if you have a special price, it is hard to find a deal better than that, be sure to get a spare drive though. I keep two spare drives of each size that I use.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

wblock

Documentation Engineer
But I can snag 3TBs for $49 with a 3yr warranty.
Are these "white label" drives? Such drives are "refurbished" by a reseller, but users here have had bad experiences with them.

danb35

Hall of Famer
users here have had bad experiences with them.
My ears were burning, and now I know why. Yeah, not a good experience--out of six "white label" 6 TB disks I bought about a year and a half ago, five have failed.

Status
Not open for further replies.