Replacement to Transmission 2.82?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yatti420

Wizard
It means some1 has looked over the request.. Last I checked it's status was set to future..

diskdiddler

Wizard
I take it that means don't hold my breath?

Yatti420

Wizard
It will be here eventually.. Probably next major release.. Peeps probably working on something more important related to next version..

Maybe put a like or something on the feature request.. You could always run a port jail now and install manually..Then you won't ever need a pbi for upgrades as long as the port (freshports - transmission is updated)

Sent from my SGH-I257M using Tapatalk 2

diskdiddler

Wizard
I don't mean to bust peoples chops - I'm more curious about the process.
Like, this doesn't actually require a new build of FreeNAS does it? It's a plugin, surely the plugin could be adapted for 9.2.1.6?

diedrichg

Wizard
I want to post my guide to installing qBittorrent but I still can't figure out how to get it to autostart. I could post it anyways and maybe someone can figure out the autostart enigma.

diskdiddler

Wizard
Is it a superior product to transmission?
What's the 'definitive' torrent client? (not for Windows)

diedrichg

Wizard
I really enjoy qbittorrent as an alternative to utorrent on windows. Plus it's on Linux too. The FreshPorts version lacks a few advanced features but otherwise it's a rock solid utility.

diskdiddler

Wizard
Last edited:

Yatti420

Wizard
For autostart if the start script is present you would enable it in etc/rc.conf or you will need write it.. Please see how to install non-pbi in doc.freenas.org

Sent from my SGH-I257M using Tapatalk 2

diedrichg

Wizard
Yeah, I've added a line to rc.conf to run a script in rc.d but it still doesn't want to autostart. I can get it to run with the jail shell closed at least; a FreeBSD forum member helped me figure that one out.

diskdiddler

Wizard
What is the feasability of someone getting QBittorrent (latest) as a plugin, how hard would this be to do? For a newbie? Like, it'd be nice to bring it back up to a supported level.

diedrichg

Wizard
I'll post my method tonight. Keep in mind I haven't figured out how to get it to autostart and your machine will be building it from source.

diskdiddler

Wizard
Do you know the process to make a PBI or plugin (those are 2 diff things, right?) Maybe we can make it more official and easy for everyone?

diedrichg

Wizard
To make a pbi would require installing FreeBSD and using their built-in pbi-maker tool. It sounds super easy but I have not taken the time to install the OS and test this method. I found building qbittorrent from source was just as easy if you have the patience to wait for it it build. It took my previous hardware 3 hours. I shared my steps with another forum user and it took their system 12 hours. So...

diskdiddler

Wizard
Ok, I mean look I'm willing to try but I like the "clean" idea of doing it using the official and simple tools.

Dumb question - but I assume we do it inside a jail? So if something screws up - we can just nuke the jail, right? Doesn't impact the primary OS?

diedrichg

Wizard
This is technically just as official as a pbi or plugin.

Valid question. Yes, it's installed in a jail. Any software added to your FN box is installed in the jail which acts as a sandbox. Jails can be nuked at will without repercussion.

diskdiddler

Wizard
Cool, that was my understanding - it's like a VM according to one of the articles I read? Interesting and useful concept
In that case, I'm willing to mess around with it.
I saw you posting (or someone else?) about editing a bootup script which initiates it loading during boot. rc.d? Is that rc.d for the primary OS (/) or the actual jail? Either way it's a minimal change to the core OS if so.

My unix skills are. ... you know like a 2/10 - maybe a 3? I've done some dabbling so if your guide is fairly straightforward, no probs

Also, we compile it from source right? If there's any dependencies for qbittorrent, do they also only get installed into the jail? Keepingthe primary OS safe from tampering?

diedrichg

Wizard
rc.d for the jail.

Compiling from source and a modified to the install command will install all dependencies unattended and will then delete extra install files once done. Everything is done inside the jail, there is no modification to the FN OS in any way other than creating the jail.

diskdiddler

Wizard
Ok that's fantastic, - alright I'm willing to try pretty much any crazy crap then - I can always nuke it and if they release 2.8.4 transmission or the proper qbittorrent, I can always nuke the jail

Status
Not open for further replies.