Replacement to Transmission 2.82?

Status
Not open for further replies.

diskdiddler

Wizard
Hello,

Is there anything newer than this available? I'd assume the plugin repository is always up to date, but I'm curious if there's a place more experienced people go to obtain plugins for FreeNAS??

I ask because Transmission while not bad, is slightly out of date and lacking a couple of features I really like to use in utorrent under Windows (example bandwidth limiting per torrent, torrent scheduling, etc) - I can't appear to see those options under the settings for Transmission.
Am I doing something wrong? I also note there's only 1 torrent client, considering the popularity of torrents, I thought there might be more.

(This is not intended as a complaint, just curiousity)

Thanks

danb35

Hall of Famer
There is a more recent version of Transmission available (2.84 vs. 2.82), but there doesn't seem to be a port of uTorrent. The release notes for Transmission don't indicate that the features you're looking for have been added since 2.82, though.

There's nothing stopping you from setting up a jail and installing whatever software you want, as long as it will run under FreeBSD. I don't see a port available for uTorrent, but there may be other packages available.

diskdiddler

Wizard
Yeah I'm investigating other PBI files now, as a newbie though, the idea of simply using the approved plugins appeals - we'll see how tricky installing other clients is very shortly.

diskdiddler

Wizard
Well uploading the 64bit .PBI for QBitorrent kinda half worked, it appeared with the right plugin name, the jail was "custom_1" or something but starting it failed with "Some error occcurred" so,.... maybe not dead simple, I'll try the Vuze plugin

diskdiddler

Wizard
Both plugins don't work - although they get further than I'd expect.
They are correctly listed as "installed plugins" but starting is definitely "Some error occurred"

Any suggestions appreciated or even (sadly) confirmation that I'm just plain stuck if need be? :/

danb35

Hall of Famer
I'm sure the answer is not that you're just out of luck, but I don't have any experience working with .pbi files. There are ports available for both qbittorrent and vuze, so you could install that way (read up on using ports in FreeBSD). If there are ports, it's likely there are packaged binaries available as well; you'd want to read up on using the pkg command in FreeBSD for that.

It's also entirely possible that your issue is just a matter of configuring the app correctly within your jail. I'm not familiar with those particular apps, though, so I couldn't give you an idea of where to start--Google may help you out.

Keep in mind, any sort of GUI for your app will have to be web-based, so you'd need an app that does that--I don't know if vuze or qbittorrent do that.

diskdiddler

Wizard
Well the guide seems to imply PBI's are compatible with FreeNAS but only particular ones are supported (hence the "available" list)
The ones I found certainly got 2/3 of the way to working, so I'm guessing there just needs to be some tweaking to make them fully compatible - some rudimentary FreeBSD knowledge would probably help me.

I must say I'm a tiny bit frustrated that if these PBI's are really close to compatible as stock, that someone hasn't managed to clean up what's left to get them in (like the 2 I tried)

Does FreeNAS have some kind of "installer.ini" or some config file which specifies how the PBI installs or something? - I get that a PBI is some kind of package that's all good to go for the most part but is there some kind of tailored script which makes the actual allowed ones on the official list work?

Yatti420

Wizard
We do need an upgrade to 2.84.. many fixes now..

Edit: Looks like the port is still on 2.82.. We may be waiting awhile for a 2.84 release..

Last edited:

diskdiddler

Wizard

cyberjock

Inactive Account
So I'm guessing like..... even normal builds of FreeBSD are not up to date, right? Not just FreeNAS?

Yep, unless you source the code or compiled executables from somewhere else.

diskdiddler

Wizard
Ok that's interesting. I don't know much about FreeBSD - but from what I've read it's very.... stable? Focused purely on stability, so out of date software isn't such a big deal, right? (Well from the BSD community perspective) ?

So it's up to whomever originally ported transmission from source to BSD?
Then once there's a valid PBI for BSD, someone then needs to tweak it (somewhat) to work in FreeNAS?

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Ok that's interesting. I don't know much about FreeBSD - but from what I've read it's very.... stable? Focused purely on stability, so out of date software isn't such a big deal, right? (Well from the BSD community perspective) ?

That depends on the project and is not a "BSD" thing. Just like in Windows some programs are awesome and others suck balls.

So it's up to whomever originally ported transmission from source to BSD?

I'd say it's up to the program's developers or its community.

Then once there's a valid PBI for BSD, someone then needs to tweak it (somewhat) to work in FreeNAS?

Some require tweaks, some don't. But if you don't do the PBI thing and run your own jail then upgrading is as simple as compiling from ports or using something like pkg-ng.

diskdiddler

Wizard
It was a /. post I read and they seemed to imply BSD moved slower on things - maybe it was just like modern hardware the kernel will or won't support, or whatever the term is? Not adopting stuff as quickly until thoroughly tested. I spose the packages themselves for the OS is up to the developers you're right.

I don't know too much about software development, I kind of assumed that an open source program can be ported to other OS's by anyone - however the original developers of the course code may not have any idea how to do the port to the other operating system?

I'm going to be playing around with FreeNAS significantly more over the coming weeks now, so I guess I'll be finding out the hardway.

danb35

Hall of Famer
But if you don't do the PBI thing and run your own jail then upgrading is as simple as compiling from ports or using something like pkg-ng.
...assuming that the port or package are up to date, which they aren't in the case of Transmission.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Yes. But if you rely on a PBI and nobody updates the PBI you are screwed. And lets face it, adding an extra barrier to upgrading isn't a good thing for most people. So keeping it within your control is by far the most "recommended" plan.

Yatti420

Wizard
You could always email the port maintainer and ask for an upgrade to 2.84.. Then it should be much easier for a pbi to be created..

Yatti420

Wizard
Transmission has now been updated to 2.84 via freshports.. I don't really want to create a new jail for a port install of transmission.. Requested update via https://bugs.freenas.org/issues/5605 .. Hopefully a PBI will be available soon!..

diskdiddler

Wizard
Thanks heaps for that, I'll keep my eye on it.

diskdiddler

Wizard
Thanks I've resisted on the bug tracker to follow progress.
Is that how it works, we just kind of request? Is this the kindness of peoples heart kind of thing or is this scheduled in some kind of build process document or upgrade guidelines procedure?

Who normally does the creation / porting of this code traditionally for FreeNAS, just so I can understand in future.

diskdiddler

Wizard
Looks like someone is working on it, thank you! What does "screened" mean?

Status
Not open for further replies.