Transmission custom download locations

Status
Not open for further replies.

thedemon1366

Cadet
Hello,

I'm seriously contemplating building a NAS with freenas as the OS. The main issue holding me back at the moment is the torrent client.

I'm a very big fan of using custom download directories when using torrents so I can keep everything organised. I know that there are real issues when trying to use custom download directories with the utorrent webgui and I'd assume transmission would have a similar issue. However, I have found very little information about the matter when using the transmission plugin with freenas.

Does anyone know if it is possible to use custom download directories using transmission/freenas?

Thanks!!

Yatti420

Wizard
utorrent is quite easy to label / use directories.. Transmission can be a little difficult.. You may need to run a custom script to accomplish this.. You could always run your own torrent client if there is a port available.

Joshua Parker Ruehlig

Hall of Famer
Yes, transmission allows you to set the the destination folder of a downloading when adding it.

thedemon1366

Cadet
Thanks for the info. Another related question. When setting the download directory, will transmission create a sub-folder for the torrent? This is probably easier to explain by example. Let's say I grab a torrent with the torrent name "HIMYM.S03E05.RELEASE". I tell transmission to save to the following folder: "How I Met Your Mother/Season 03/Episode 05". Will the contents of the torrent be saved in that folder, OR will they be saved in the following folder "How I Met Your Mother/Season 03/Episode 05/HIMYM.S03E05.RELEASE"

Note that in the second case, the torrent client automatically put everything in a subfolder with the same name as the torrent name. A bit of a weird question I know, but I could really do with the torrent client obeying the EXACT folder structure I give it (for XBMC reasons). I know that utorrent is very good at saving torrents exactly where you tell it, but I have seen that other torrent clients are not so good at it.

Thanks again!!

Joshua Parker Ruehlig

Hall of Famer
I'm not sure, this is something you should either experiment with or ask on the transmission forums.

why are you doing all this media downloading and organizing manually? I suggest having a client like sickbeard manage it for you. if you are looking for something completely automated I share my setup steps. Google 'jruehlig freenas' if you're interested.

thedemon1366

Cadet
The reason I'm going with the approach is because I need the torrents to remain seeding (indefinitely) after they have finished downloading. At the same time, they need to be organised enough for my media centre (running XBMC) to scape downloads.

I'll have a play around with transmission.

When using freenas, would I only have access to the transmission webgui?

Joshua Parker Ruehlig

Hall of Famer
it's a standard transmission install. you can use the command line, or desktop clients.

Status
Not open for further replies.