Replaced a drive, now the volume shows degraded

Status
Not open for further replies.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Ok, so you have no redundancy at all. There's no mention of any kind of redundancy in zpool status. What you have amounts to a RAID0 of 3 disks. Not even sure how to help you with your problem as:

1. stripes are incredibly dangerous.
2. stripes are incredibly dangerous(I feel like I said this before)
3. So many people have lost stripes while trying to manage them with failing disks.

You should instead backup your data, destroy your pool, then recreate it with redundancy. You might be able to remove the disk from the CLI. But I'm not 100% sure.

DanPrs

Explorer
I still have the data in another NAS and PC, time to start over again. Well, thanks.

ECCfrenaslover

Explorer
Cyber,

your comment on stripes being incredibly dangerous has got me thinking if I shall be worried...

I have a total of 6 HDDs. HDDs 1, 2, 3 and 6 are set up by ZFS as mirrors. HDDs 4 and 5 are the stripe. I am currently running FN 9.2.1
If one of those stripe disks fails, how "worried" will I have to be? Am I correct to say that I am running under RAIDZ3 with these many disks?

Thanks for the help.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
You can run 6 disks as stripes, mirrors, RAIDZ1, RAIDZ2, or RAIDZ3. What's important is how you actually did your setup. If you have any stripes, you are going to have a bad day when(not if) one of those starts having problems.

ECCfrenaslover

Explorer
I did my setup following what the ZFS volume manager suggested under the GUI....Is there a better or worst way?

To summarize, there should not be any stripes at all? What good are they for then?

Thanks for the help!

cyberjock

Inactive Account
That depends... the GUI could have chosen a number of combinations.....

stripes give amazing performance. For example, as a temporary workspace it is amazing.

ECCfrenaslover

Explorer
arrrg...another roadblock. I can't afford to have data loss. I will have to redo my volumes and ensure no stripes are present.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Why not PM me a pastebin of your "zpool status" and I'll tell you if your system is striping anything.

DanPrs

Explorer
This is how to set it up yes?!

Code:
[root@FreeNAS ~]# zpool status                                                  
  pool: Drive                                                                   
 state: ONLINE                                                                  
  scan: none requested                                                          
config:                                                                         

NAME                                            STATE     READ WRITE CKS
UM                                                                              
        Drive                                           ONLINE       0     0    
 0                                                                              
          raidz1-0                                      ONLINE       0     0    
 0                                                                              
            gptid/3896b87a-9219-11e3-843f-bc5ff4e79b3a  ONLINE       0     0    
 0                                                                              
            gptid/38df1c6b-9219-11e3-843f-bc5ff4e79b3a  ONLINE       0     0    
 0                                                                              
            gptid/396cab4e-9219-11e3-843f-bc5ff4e79b3a  ONLINE       0     0    
 0                                                                              

errors: No known data errors                                                    
[root@FreeNAS ~]# 

ECCfrenaslover

Explorer

Status
Not open for further replies.