Replaced a drive, now the volume shows degraded

Status
Not open for further replies.

DanPrs

Explorer
I think I might have missed a step. Bottom line is that I replaced one of the drives in the volume and now the volume shows degraded. Any way to resolve the issue?

I had initially built the system but one of the drives that came in was faulty. I built the system and stuck in 2x 3T drives and a 500GB I had laying around instead. Now that the replacement is in, shut down the system, stuck the new drive in, hit replace on the 500GB and selected the new one. Let it do it's thing overnight.
By morning I tried to connect to the sever to see what the progress had been but the menu was not responding, "some error occurred."
I left for work, came back and the alert icon was green so I rebooted in order to have the menus back. That worked, I rebooted once again to take out the 500GB but the volume now shows as degraded.

Knowltey

Patron
Can you post the output of the command "zpool status" here for us?

Post it in code tags since the formatting is very important.

DanPrs

Explorer
Sure thing, couldn't figure out how to copy from the shell :)

ElIQ9O2.png

cyberjock

Inactive Account
You need to go to the FreeNAS manual and check out the steps for replacing a failed disk. You skipped a step, which is why its saying degraded still. :)

DanPrs

Explorer
I suspected as much in my OP, now if only I could have some help determining which step?...

cyberjock

Inactive Account
The steps are straight forward. It's so easy that if you can't figure out what step you missed you probably can't drive a car or drink water without killing yourself. It *really* is that simple. ;)

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Where the offline/replace button was. :)

DanPrs

Explorer
Here's all the drives

Raor62i.png

and where is the option to detach the drive? I can't find a listing of the ada3.

s4dOl9z.png

cyberjock

Inactive Account
At the bottom of the window you screenshotted.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

DanPrs

Explorer
There is no listing of ada3. So how exactly do I detach a drive that's not there?

cyberjock

Inactive Account
well, for starters you aren't going to detach ada3.. you're going to detach the zpool vdev member entry that refers to the old ada3. You've got a new ada3, so even calling the old zpool vdev member entry by "ada3" is very inaccurate.

I'm really not sure why you are having problems with this. I've never seen someone take more than 5 minutes to understand that step. Either you are very confused or something is very broken about your setup.

DanPrs

Explorer
Ok so which instance should I choose from that screen shot? I've clicked all of them and none offer an option to "detach."

cyberjock

Inactive Account
I think the 29XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX one. But you should know based on what disk you've put in and pulled out.

DanPrs

Explorer
s7dvui0.png

I just placed the drive back in as well and the same options are available.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Hold on a minute. Post the output from zpool status as a copy/paste from SSH. I don't think you are doing what you think you are doing. Put it in CODE tags or a pastebin link.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
And I realize you said you don't know how to copy from the shell. Now you gotta learn.

ECCfrenaslover

Explorer
subbed...(I am curious to see how this gets fixed..)

DanPrs

Explorer
Code:
[root@FreeNAS ~]# zpool status                                                  
  pool: Drive                                                                   
 state: DEGRADED                                                                
  scan: resilvered 161G in 0h35m with 0 errors on Tue Feb  4 00:50:40 2014      
config:                                                                         

NAME                                            STATE     READ WRITE CKS
UM                                                                              
        Drive                                           DEGRADED     0     0    
 0                                                                              
          replacing-0                                   DEGRADED     0     0    
 0                                                                              
            2957193699541230810                         UNAVAIL      0     0    
 0  was /dev/gptid/5b8c4939-8ada-11e3-b4c5-bc5ff4e79b3a                         
            gptid/605f78ad-8d5b-11e3-8b03-bc5ff4e79b3a  ONLINE       0     0    
 0                                                                              
          gptid/5bf4636e-8ada-11e3-b4c5-bc5ff4e79b3a    ONLINE       0     0    
 0                                                                              
          gptid/5c48fae8-8ada-11e3-b4c5-bc5ff4e79b3a    ONLINE       0     0    
 0                                                                              

errors: No known data errors                                                    
[root@FreeNAS ~]#  

Status
Not open for further replies.