Replace drive connected to HBA using spare SATA port

Status
Not open for further replies.

NamoMitK

Dabbler
I have 8x4TB in RAIDZ2 connected to a 9211-8i. I would like to begin the process of swapping all drives with 8TB drives that are currently burning in on another system. Would it be okay to connect 1x8TB drive to a SATA port for the replace procedure? Drives connected to the HBA show up as /dev/da0,1,2,3,4,5,6,7. A drive connected to SATA shows up as /dev/ada0. Should I have any concerns about doing a replace, shutting down the server and swapping the replaced drive from SATA to the HBA?

I don't believe this should be a problem. But just want to be told "Yea, dummy, FreeNAS doesn't care about the controller as long as the drives are passed through directly".

Thanks!

danb35

Hall of Famer
Should I have any concerns about doing a replace, shutting down the server and swapping the replaced drive from SATA to the HBA?
None whatsoever.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Yea, dummy, FreeNAS doesn't care about the controller as long as the drives are passed through directly

Or, more eloquently, ZFS, like any vaguely-usable volume manager/RAID solution, keeps metadata on the disks to identify them and determine with what other disks they go together and how. Even Intel fakeRAID has zero problems with this sort of thing - move disks around and even to a newer motherboard running much newer fakeRAID firmware and everything just works.

wblock

Documentation Engineer
Right. Problems can occur when a disk controller puts metadata on the disk and hides it from the operating system. Motherboard RAID and hardware RAID controllers often do that, and sometimes external USB drives also. But a 9211 in IT mode or plain SATA ports can generally be trusted to just connect the disk and show the full contents.

Status
Not open for further replies.