Disk removal and addition

Status
Not open for further replies.

jayshahu

Dabbler
I have a supermicro motherboard X8DT6-F which has the SAS2008 on board.

I have a total 9 (1X8Gb) drives connected to which meant that I was using 8, 6Gb/s connections and one my drives was connected using the SATA port which was giving me only 3 Gb/s connection. i Just installed a MegaRAID 9240-4i cross flashed with LSI 9211-8i firmware and I wanted to move the last drive to the 6 Gb/s connection.
My current volume is raid Z and I have one spare drive in it.

My question is as freenas allocates disk identifiers based on which port they are connected to ie /dev/ada1 ( connected to SATA) vs /dev/da1 ( when connected to HBA) I was wondering if I move the drive from SATA and connect it via the 2nd HBA what would it do to my volume.

Can I just take that specific drive offline change the connection and then just bring it back online?

Assuming it's flashed to IT mode it's plug'n play (possible it will also work in IR mode, but IT is recommended), but don't expect any performance gains, since SATA2 is enough for current hard drives, though 10/12TB disks are practically on the limit, SSDs are a different story and really benefit from SATA3.

danb35

Hall of Famer
I was wondering if I move the drive from SATA and connect it via the 2nd HBA what would it do to my volume.
Nothing at all.
Can I just take that specific drive offline change the connection and then just bring it back online?
You can, or just power down the server and change the connection. The only reason you'd want to offline the drive is if you wanted to do this with the power on.

jayshahu

Dabbler
Thanks guys for answering my question. I will take the server down make the change and restart.

Status
Not open for further replies.