Replace Disk to Upgrade Pool

Griffen8280

Cadet
My storage pool is composed of 4 disks in a RAIDZ1 and has a size of 12Tb. I needed to upgrade this space because I was down to my last Tb, so I purchased a new 8Tb drive to replace one of the 4s. I followed the procedure found in the documentation here and the replacement went off without a hitch and resilvering was completed. The problem is that the pool still indicates a size of 12Tb. I tried using the option to expand pool found in the pool options menu and it says that it completed successfully however the size of the pool never changes. I have verified that all the data is present and the system of course shows a pool status of green. And in the disks section it shows the 3 4Tb drives and the 1 8Tb drive but again, no increase in pool size. I have been using FreeNAS/TrueNAS for some time but have never tried to grow a pool before so I'm kind of stumped on this one.

Motherboard: Asus Prime B450M
CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3400G
RAM: 32Gb DDR4
Drives: 3x4Tb, 1x8Tb, and 1x256Gb SSD (Cache Drive)
This sits in a 4U Rackmount case with front loading drive bays

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
Your pool size will always be limited to the size of the smallest drive. Once you replace all your drives with larger ones the auto expand function will work and your pool size will increase.

Griffen8280

Cadet
hmm, well that stinks. I thought ZFS pools were dynamic in that they would use whatever sized drive you throw at it. I may have to rethink my upgrade strategies a bit then.

sretalla