Replace a disk from a degraded pool (disk physically not detected)

ManuMCoupe

Dabbler
Hi

I just figure out that i have a degraded NAS from a month ago.
One of the 4 disk that i have in my array is not responding. It's physically broken (strange sounds)

My configuration is:

- HP Proliant ML310e Gen8 v2
- 32gb ram
- Freenas 11.3
- 4X WD Red 6TB EFRX

I just bought another disk to replace the faulty

But, in that case i can't put the faulty disk in "offline" mode because is not recognized physically

What is the correct procedure in that case?

Thanks

danb35

Hall of Famer
But, in that case i can't put the faulty disk in "offline" mode because is not recognized physically
The disk is already offline. Proceed with the replacement as instructed in the manual.

danb35

Hall of Famer

Samuel Tai

Never underestimate your own stupidity
The new disk will be recognized as unused. It won't come online until you start the replacement process.

Yorick

Wizard

ManuMCoupe

Dabbler

ManuMCoupe

Dabbler
The new disk will be recognized as unused. It won't come online until you start the replacement process.

Just as you say, i just replace the failed disk by a new one and it's shown as unused..

And i hace no option of "replace" in that case

New disk is not shown in pool...

What can i do?

Thanks

Samuel Tai

1. Go to the pool status.
  2. Find the old disk. It should be in OFFLINE status.
  3. Click the 3 dots, and pull down to replace.
  4. In the replace dialog, pull down to find the unused disk.
  5. Click the "Replace" button.

ManuMCoupe

Dabbler
  1. Go to the pool status.
  2. Find the old disk. It should be in OFFLINE status.
  3. Click the 3 dots, and pull down to replace.
  4. In the replace dialog, pull down to find the unused disk.
  5. Click the "Replace" button.

Duda Freenas.png

There?

Disk is not shown as ada0

Duda 2 Freenas.png

Thanks again

Samuel Tai

Yes, click the 3 dots on the unavail member of the pool.

diedrichg

Wizard
Try a different SATA cable for the drive as well. Start with the old drive attached first with the new cable, then try the new drive.

danb35

Hall of Famer
Disk is not shown as ada0
No, it isn't. That's because it isn't ada0. It's a different disk that the system used to see as ada0, but now it doesn't see at all. You're making this much more complicated than it needs to be.

ManuMCoupe

Dabbler
No, it isn't. That's because it isn't ada0. It's a different disk that the system used to see as ada0, but now it doesn't see at all. You're making this much more complicated than it needs to be.

Ok, sorry but i want to be sure before doing something :-S It's the first time that i have a crash disk

So, as Samuel says, i only to have to put this "/dev/gptid/2f7fb047-b7f9-11e7-b3e0-10604beedcec " from "unavail" to "replace" ?

Right?

Thanks

Samuel Tai

Correct. What you're telling the GUI is you're beginning the replacement process for the missing disk with gptid. Then in the replacement dialog, pull down to the available unused disks, which will be the new ada0.

danb35

Hall of Famer
So, as Samuel says, i only to have to put this "/dev/gptid/2f7fb047-b7f9-11e7-b3e0-10604beedcec " from "unused" to "replace" ?
"/dev/gptid/2f7fb047-b7f9-11e7-b3e0-10604beedcec" isn't "unused"; it's unavailable (for purposes of this process, "UNAVAIL" is the same as "OFFLINE"). Your system can't see it any more. Either you've removed it from the system (which I think you have), or it's there but so dead it isn't responding any more. You want to replace that disk with ada0, which is your new disk. To do that, do exactly what Samuel said to do (twice).

ManuMCoupe

Dabbler
Correct. What you're telling the GUI is you're beginning the replacement process for the missing disk with gptid. Then in the replacement dialog, pull down to the available unused disks, which will be the new ada0.
"/dev/gptid/2f7fb047-b7f9-11e7-b3e0-10604beedcec" isn't "unused"; it's unavailable (for purposes of this process, "UNAVAIL" is the same as "OFFLINE"). Your system can't see it any more. Either you've removed it from the system (which I think you have), or it's there but so dead it isn't responding any more. You want to replace that disk with ada0, which is your new disk. To do that, do exactly what Samuel said to do (twice).

Thanks for all guys