Removing a Cloned Snapshot

Status
Not open for further replies.

scottroberts6

Dabbler
Hello,

I just wanted to confirm that I understood this correctly, as I don't see a "How To" on this.

I'm running 8.3.0 Release using a ZFS/RaidZ1. Our main dataset has a snapshot task that has been running for several months. Every so often someone in our office deletes something or makes a mistake and saves it. FreeNAS to the rescue! I simply jump on the interface, Volumes > ZFS Snapshots, find the snapshot I want and hit "Clone Snapshot". I accept the defaults and then the folder appears under the root of the share, we go in and grab what we need and that's that.

Here's my question: Once we have what we need, what do I do with this new dataset (there are quite a few now, cluttering up the root of the share)? Is it safe to hit "Destroy Dataset" under the Active Volumes tab? I just want to make sure that this doesn't (1) delete the original snapshot or (2) delete any other data on the drive, except for anything that may or may not have been written to the dataset since it was created (not an issue). I assume I "could" just delete the folder in the root of the share, but that seems like the wrong way to go. Just need some reassurance before I hit that scary button that makes the screen turn red...

Thank you for your help and support!

D

dlavigne

Thanks for the heads up, I will update the docs today to make this clearer.

When you create a clone, it does not appear under the ZFS Snapshots tab as it is really a dataset. It will appear under the Active Volumes tab as a clone. If you delete the clone in that tab, it will not affect the original volume/dataset/snapshot that was cloned. It only removes that dataset (the clone).

Status
Not open for further replies.