Remote Host ip rsync

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wardy

Dabbler
Hi everyone,

I am trying to find out how I can use a FreeNAS at home as a remote backup server for a WD MyCloud EX2 which is at my work. I don't have the FreeNAS build yet, since I would like to understand more about it before I do, but this is what I have been able to find out for creating an rsync task so far:

1) Enable ssh and create an ssh key on WD
2) Enable rsync on WD
3) Copy the ssh hostkey from WD on FN
4) Setup a rsync task on WD
- Set user to root
- Set Preserve Permission checkbox

My questions are:
- Is there anything I should be doing/considering that is not here yet?
- I have to enter an ip (the one of my FreeNAS) when setting up the rsync task, but I can't use my local 192.168.178.xx ip right? Don't I need an external ip or something? If so, how can I find it?

Thank you :)

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
I saw that after I posted this, sorry. The matter of the ip I have to give is still not quite clear to me, since in the example I think they use two servers which are on the same network.
Residential internet service typically assigns you a dynamic IP address. You need to sign up for some sort of 'dynamic DNS' service that will basically resolve a domain name (foo.noip.com) to your current home IP address. Once you have your hostname, you will rsync to (in this example) foo.noip.com.

Wardy

Dabbler
Residential internet service typically assigns you a dynamic IP address. You need to sign up for some sort of 'dynamic DNS' service that will basically resolve a domain name (foo.noip.com) to your current home IP address. Once you have your hostname, you will rsync to (in this example) foo.noip.com.
I see, I should be able to figure that out. Thank you so much for your help and quick responses, I am still not ready to actually set it up, but now I know what steps I need to research and understand to set it up.

Status
Not open for further replies.