Reliability after a crash..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lipsch

Cadet
Hello,
I keep ending up asking myself what will happen during a FreeNas crash of a 1 or 5 RAID system. I know I have to keep a secondary backup elsewhere since it is not safe for deleting… but can I ‘just’ replace the crashed disk and in case of RAID 1 it mirrors automatically and RAID 5 it restores it automatically based on the ‘PAR’files?

Is there a difference in reliability between FreeNas or e.g. Synology when a crash occurs? Or is restoring the data with FreeNas the same, more simple or harder compared to e.g. Synology?

Hope you guys can supply me with some feedback, location to find more info about reliability or restoring. I really like building a NAS but need to be sure I don’t need to be an IT wizard restoring the date…. before starting.

Regards,
Job

ProtoSD

MVP
See the FAQ in my signature about replacing a bad disk. I don't know how Synology works so I can't compare them.

Sometime (hopefully soon), the GUI will be fixed and you can just swap out the bad disk and click on the 'replace' icon and wait for the disk to resilver and you'll be good to go.

Status
Not open for further replies.