Panic crash after uptime of 1m32s

Status
Not open for further replies.

tbrailsford

Cadet
Hello

I am new to Freenas and freebsd and I have a problem with the system rebooting after a panic for dirbad mangled entry on /mnt/archives.

I have tried to run fsck with various options, the command fsck -y -t ufs /mnt/archives was the only one that would work all other fsck commands would return "cannot determine file system" however seeing as this machine will panic and crash after 1m32s (this is consistent) the fsck did not get to finish.

I have tried to boot to safe mode but it does not seem to be any different from a normal boot?

I am a windows server admin and dont have much exprience with BSD so I am pretty much lost at the console.

can anyone tell me how to get into safe mode (if that will help) and any ideas on how to fix the mangled entry error or as least stop the 1m32s crash?

the dir /mnt/archives is on my raid array (4 x1TB western Digital) raid 5

system boots from usb flash drive

system is built on an old win2003 server box, dual xeon cpu 2GB ram Intel server board with intel raid controller and 6 slot hot swap drive enclosure.

at this point I do not know the version numbers of freenas an bsd.

any help will be appreciated

Terry Brailsford

ProtoSD

MVP
Hi Terry,

We will need more info about your FreeNAS version.

I have tried to run fsck with various options, the command fsck -y -t ufs /mnt/archives

I can give this advice though, you should never run fsck on a mounted filesystem, you could end up with more problems than you started with. You need to unmount the filesystem /mnt/archives and then run it on the device, for example /dev/da0p1.

Since you are speaking of a raid-5 array, that seems to imply you are probably running version .7x of FreeNAS. These are the 8.0x Forums, there's a world of difference between the two. If you do have version 7, there's a link at the top of the page in the Titlebar for the FreeNAS-7 forums.

vibe666

Dabbler
system is built on an old win2003 server box, dual xeon cpu 2GB ram Intel server board with intel raid controller and 6 slot hot swap drive enclosure.
sorry if this is a silly question, but is the CPU in your build 64bit capable? If so, did you use the 64bit AMD build or the i386 one when you installed freeNAS?

I made the mistake of assuming the AMD build was only for AMD CPU's and went with the i386 one on my NAS and had similar problems with kernel panics as the i386 build doesn't appear to like being installed onto 64bit hardware for some reason.

i did a gui upgrade to the 64bit (AMD) build of freeNAS on my Intel based box and it's been fine ever since. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.