Reinstalling FreeNAS

brettyj

Dabbler
Hey,

I'm moving my boot drive from a H700 (which I have to setup a raid of one to work as it doesn't support IT Mode) to a PCI SATA card so freenas can have direct access to the drive, and I can get rid of the H700. (I'm using a 12 bay r510, so this is the only way I can do this as the mb sata ports are disabled).

I already have a pool set up hanging off the H300 in It mode, which is all good.

So I want to reinstall freenas and import the pool and restore my settings.

Before I do this can I confirm the following steps to make sure I'm not going to break anything?

1) Create a config backup from System > General
2) Create a snapshot of my pool
3) Switch off the system
4) Move my SSDs to the new PCI Cards and remove the H700
5) Switch on the system and install freenas as a fresh install onto the SSDs
6) After boot, upload the configuration I downloaded earlier
7) Reimport the pool
8) Done.

Is this correct? All my data, permissions, shares, active directory config etc will all be available after following this process?

All my important mission critical data is backed up to the cloud, but I really would rather not use it!

Thanks!

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
2) Create a snapshot of my pool
Not sure this will do what you think it does, but won't hurt.

Do you have encrypted pools or have you installed certificates on your FreeNAS install? (those are the things not covered by a config backup that usually catch people out)

7) Reimport the pool
This step should not be necessary as the config will already bring the knowledge of the pool and on reboot it should just be there.

brettyj

Dabbler
Not sure this will do what you think it does, but won't hurt.

I appreciate it just sits on the datapool, but I figured it couldn't hurt.

Do you have encrypted pools or have you installed certificates on your FreeNAS install? (those are the things not covered by a config backup that usually catch people out)

Nope, so not a problem for me

This step should not be necessary as the config will already bring the knowledge of the pool and on reboot it should just be there.

Ah great, good to know, thanks!

Spearfoot

He of the long foot
I appreciate it just sits on the datapool, but I figured it couldn't hurt.

Nope, so not a problem for me

Ah great, good to know, thanks!
Another thing to be aware of -- the configuration backup doesn't save any SSH settings for the root user, so if you've set up any public key cryptography for root, save off the .ssh directory, too.