Dell R510 12 bay with perc h700

Pyro5151

Cadet
I have a r510 12 bay model with a perc h700 i'm running into the common issue everyone has with that card raid mode. Do I try and crossflash or force flash the h700 into IT mode or buy a h200 and crossflash it. Note i'm trying to setup a Truenas setup and properly use ZFS instead of not doing so and using a raid 1 which isn't the right way of settings things up. Can anyone give me some advise on how to solve my conundrum of setting up a plex server and storage server with using ZFS. I'm using two iron wolf non prof 4tb drives to start a basic storage pool.

jgreco

Resident Grinch
The H700i in MFI mode is unsafe for use. Please see the article

If you can crossflash it to HBA IT mode, that is fine, but fer chrissakes REMOVE THE BATTERY IF YOU DO.

The H700i in the internal slot can be replaced by an H200 and that works out fine, it is "cabling compatible" with the H700i. The H200 will boot SSD's in the SSD bays just fine.

If you are unfortunate enough to have a 12-bay-plus-two R510, Dell has helpfully provided no place to get power from inside the chassis, and has turned off the mainboard SATA ports in the BIOS anyways.

We've refurbed a bunch of R510's here by adding an H310 in LSI IR mode (*not* the Dell IR mode) along with an Addonics two-M.2-in-a-PCIe-slot adapter for boot devices. Works great.

Pyro5151

Cadet
The exact variation of the 12 bay r510 has the two 2.5in ssd bays inside i'm tempted to just buy a h200 already IT mode flashed and call it a day. Instead of me trying to get the h700i flashed I didn't realize I had a h700i until now because I literally just started diving into making a truenas and plex box this month.