Recovery move drives to new motherboard

mlb

Dabbler
I have a Freenas system running for about 2-3 years off a USB key.

The motherboard/system will no longer boot.

Can I and what is the process to move the 6 sata drives to new hardware?

Suggest budget MB, Power supply, processor?

joeschmuck

Old Man
I don't think I need to recommend hardware for you, you already have build one system so you should be able to do it again plus there are a lot of threads discussing new builds, and only you know what you are doing with the system and if you need a fast CPU and lots of RAM or not. I would recommend that you select a SSD as the boot drive vice USB Flash drives.

As for moving your hard drives to new hardware, it's generally very easy assuming your boot drives are in good condition.

I would have that new system built up and Burned In (very important to test your system out before plugging in those data drives), plug in the data hard drives and the boot drive, go into the BIOS to define which drive is the boot drive, and bootstrap your system. It should boot up fine. After it boots, verify you can access your data. If all works, I'd run a Scrub on the pool just to verify all is good.

I would caution you against upgrading to a newer version of FreeNAS, stay on the same version and once all is good then you can upgrade if you feel like it. I have seen many people upgrade while fixing a hardware failure and then all goes bad.

Good Luck.

mlb

Dabbler
I don't think I need to recommend hardware for you, you already have build one system so you should be able to do it again plus there are a lot of nd once all is good then you can upgrade if you feel like it. I have seen many people upgrade while fixing a hardware failure and then all goes bad.

Good Luck.
Moved USB to new PC, booted and changed IP. Verified web interface worked. Loaded 6 drives and it cannot see pool.
Verified which drives seemed ok. 1 seems down, not in hardware list. 1 other drive possibly bad but 5 of 6 show up in hardware list.
What next?

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
Loaded 6 drives and it cannot see pool.
What do you mean you "loaded 6 drives"?

Moving all your hardware to a new system with no other changes shouldn't require more than configuring a network interface if that. Everything else should just work.

mlb

Dabbler
What do you mean you "loaded 6 drives"?

Moving all your hardware to a new system with no other changes shouldn't require more than configuring a network interface if that. Everything else should just work.
I moved the drives to a new pc and brought the bootable Freenas stick to the new PC. Old pc failed.

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
Did you put the new drive in the new PC yet?

mlb

Dabbler
So what do you mean by "cannot see pool"? Where did you look?
So what do you mean by "cannot see pool"? Where did you look?
Unsure how many drives died. Had 6- now loaded 3 - looking in freenas control panel - error pool1 cannot detect size- also under storage, disks, can see three disk and the right disk size, other disks causing issue. If I had a ZFS pool, how many of 6 would I need to recover? Any way to read any of it?

danb35

Hall of Famer
Had 6- now loaded 3
I don't even know what you're saying here. You only have three of the six drives installed in the system? If that's the case, how would you expect it to have your pool available?

What's the output of camcontrol devlist, zpool status, and zpool import?

mlb

Dabbler
I don't even know what you're saying here. You only have three of the six drives installed in the system? If that's the case, how would you expect it to have your pool available?

What if I load all 6 drives and 2 or 3 went bad?

danb35

Hall of Famer
What if I load all 6 drives and 2 or 3 went bad?
In that case, you may have lost your pool, depending on a lot of things you haven't told us yet (but the output of the commands I asked for would help fill in the details).

mlb

Dabbler

One sec- might have it back. Hold on.
In that case, you may have lost your pool, depending on a lot of things you haven't told us yet (but the output of the commands I asked for would help fill in the details).
I might have it back. need to check.

mlb

Dabbler
Ok. I let it run overnight. I cannot get into web interface. Local console says dev ada1 failed smart check, backup your data, I also see reallocated sector count.

mlb

Dabbler

I believe I am back online. One drive had a power pin loose. Resolved and pool is back. Thank you. Very happy with Freenas abaility to move from pc to pc.

joeschmuck

Old Man
@mlb I hope your system is all working now because your postings have been very confusing, the wording is confusing. Specifically "loaded" which means to me that you loaded software. it does not mean "connected" which is what I think you are saying. Also you were asked to provide outputs of some specific commands in order for the forum members to help you and you did not provide a single one. I could hear the frustration when reading the postings. If you expect further help on this problem, provide the outputs requested, it provides a lot of diagnostic information so that someone can provide you the correct steps to take in fixing your problem.

mlb

Dabbler
I believe I have a bad drive, at least one. The pool is working at the moment.

Attachments

• 1.png
    1.png
    55.9 KB · Views: 236
  • 2.png
    2.png
    47.5 KB · Views: 230

mlb

Dabbler
@mlb I hope your system is all working now because your postings have been very confusing, the wording is confusing. Specifically "loaded" which means to me that you loaded software. it does not mean "connected" which is what I think you are saying. Also you were asked to provide outputs of some specific commands in order for the forum members to help you and you did not provide a single one. I could hear the frustration when reading the postings. If you expect further help on this problem, provide the outputs requested, it provides a lot of diagnostic information so that someone can provide you the correct steps to take in fixing your problem.

Attachments

• 1.png
    1.png
    55.9 KB · Views: 204
  • 2.png
    2.png
    47.5 KB · Views: 206
  • 3.png
    3.png
    42.6 KB · Views: 211