Recovery after USB-OS Crash

ddomains

Cadet
Hi Everyone, Little back story:

I did not build these units but inherited them. 2 Identical units, different shares on each of them. They were both ASRock Z87 Extreme 4 MB's, 24 gigs of ram, 8 SATA HD's Raided and FreeNAS (old 9.3 I think) on a USB Stick. Power outage last week was long enough to take out the UPS.

Unit C comes back online no issue, Unit V does not. Fatal Trap 12 on boot. Hardware check everything, trace it back to the USB stick going south . OK, well time to upgrade.

Install PCIe to SATA M.2 Adapter and throw in a 128gig SSD for Freenas and install the latest (11.2-U3 ), Flash the bois so it can boot to the M.2 and FreeNAS comes right up.

Here's where the issue lies. I can see the Zpool via shell (degraded, I think we might have lost a drive in the outage also), can not see it in the GUI.

I could care less about the old config, I just need help getting this zpool to mount so we can get the data and replace the failed drive and get everything back to normal.

I have read thru a ton of threads here, tried a lot, everything gets me closer, but not quite there. Also, I am mostly a windows guy, so linux commands might be a bit foregin but I am far from a n00b, so please bare with me.

Thanks

Last edited:
D

dlavigne

Were you able to resolve this? If not, have you tried doing a fresh install of the same version to a new USB stick?

ddomains

Cadet
Ended up hiring one of the pros that IXsystems recommended. The USB drive was trashed (5 years old, USB drives go bad). The Zpool was there, but in a very fragile state. We are currently rsync'ing about 30TB off of the FreeNAS to our in house NAS, then going to rebuild FreeNAS from scratch.