recommended minimum performance for log devices

Hello,
i have a
NVMe 1.3/PCIe 3.0 x4 SSD (1TB) (via CPU lanes)
NVMe 1.3/PCIe 3.0 x1 SSD (1TB) (via PCH lanes but not much happening there)

I doubt that i will have much benefit of using any of those (as far as i tested) but of course, you can always continue to test and maybe they are able to offload access times in my rotational drive array for logs.

Anyhow, i only want to do non-impacting logs for data security (i.e. L2ARC and Cache VDEV).
The x1 SSD obviously is limited in performance (approx. 1GB/s).
What do you recommend: which drive for what? I'd use the x4 for cache and the x1 for L2ARC.

ChrisRJ

Wizard
I recommend that you provide detailed information about your hardware and use-case. How can we help without those?

Etorix

Wizard
Anyhow, i only want to do non-impacting logs for data security (i.e. L2ARC and Cache VDEV).
The x1 SSD obviously is limited in performance (approx. 1GB/s).
What do you recommend: which drive for what? I'd use the x4 for cache and the x1 for L2ARC.
Additionally I recommend that you do more reading about ZFS. The links in @ChrisRJ 's signature would be a good start.
L2ARC is indeed a read "cache", but how could it "help with data security"?
SLOG is NOT a cache, and is only of use with synchronous writes, which you may or may not have. Assuming your workload does require sync writes and could do with a SLOG, the minimal requirements are: Power-Loss Protection (i.e. no consumer-grade drive!), high endurance and low write latency.

you're right, sorry and i will immediately forget the SLOG - i am using SMBv3 mostly.
The aim is a 10Gbe filer for general purpose storage + Plex. Hardware in the below.
Asrock Rack E3C246D4U2-2L2T
64GB DDR3 2400 ECC
Crucial MX500 256GB SATA System drive
10x Toshiba MG10ACA in RAIDZ2
Broadcom 9400-16i
StarTech PCIe adapter card for 2 NVMe 1.3 SSDs (with Broadcom bridge)
ConnectX3

I guess then the question is already done as the x4 SSD is already in use for L2ARC.

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
Monitor your ARC and L2ARC usage with arcstat. If you have an ARC hit rate of 99% or higher, your L2ARC does not do much good, either. You could even profit from removing it, because that frees RAM that is currently used to manage the L2ARC.