Recommended drive config for file / media server + VM and Containers (Home use)

TheBlueRaja

Dabbler
Hi All,
Looking for recommendations before i start to set this up. I have (or will shortly be getting) a supermicro X10SLM+LN4F (6xSATA) + Intel Xeon E3-1265L +32GB ECC that i thought would make a great low power TrueNAS box.

I currently have a low power Intel Atom box that runs PfSense and pihole and a QNAP Nas that has my storage and various low use containers and a plex server.

So i have 2 x 1tb nvme SSD's on a QNAP expansion card that may or may not work in the truenas server - gonna suck this and see. On my qnap i have this as a RAID 1 pool with my containers on it (including Plex).

In addition i have a 4 x 4TB RAID 5 pool and an additional 8tb drive in the NAS that i use purely to backup the RAID5 pool too. (I have other backups also)

I also have 2 x 3TB drives that i could also use but they are old and im not keen on it.

With all that in mind (and that i have backups for my backups). I was thinking of setting up a RAID1Z with the 4x4tb drives and maybe another pool, somehow, with the 2 x 1tb SSD's for VM's and containers IF i can - this im not sure about. Nor am i sure if i can just use a single disk for backup again (the 8tb one).

Any recommendations?

NugentS

MVP
What case?
How many drives can you fit in the case and of what type?
RAIDZ1 with 4*4 is fine - just make sure they aren't SMR drives
The two 1TB SSD you can use (probably) by bifurcating a slot - and using an appropriate card to address both NVMe separately. However I suspect you will have to use the X16 slot for this (or run slowly on the PCIe 2X8 slot - if you can bifurcate that one)

I use a Asus Hyper.X to bifurcate a X16 slot into 4 * M.2 NVMe gun sticks - which works - but needs BIOS support. You have an X10 - I also have an X10, albeit a different model.

TheBlueRaja

Dabbler
What case?
How many drives can you fit in the case and of what type?
RAIDZ1 with 4*4 is fine - just make sure they aren't SMR drives
The two 1TB SSD you can use (probably) by bifurcating a slot - and using an appropriate card to address both NVMe separately. However I suspect you will have to use the X16 slot for this (or run slowly on the PCIe 2X8 slot - if you can bifurcate that one)

I use a Asus Hyper.X to bifurcate a X16 slot into 4 * M.2 NVMe gun sticks - which works - but needs BIOS support. You have an X10 - I also have an X10, albeit a different model.
Hi,
I am going to pull this from a Supermicro 1U case that it comes with and put it into a BeQuiet desktop case with multiple drive bays.

The drives are not SMR.

So, assuming it would recognise my Qnap Card and NVMe drives, I assume i could just mirror these and use as a storage pool for VM/Containers etc?

Finally, could i add a single drive also just for backup, that i would also backup locally and to the cloud, that is also backed up by a UPS? ;)