Newbie here looking for some help setting up my Truenas

Gravy72

Cadet
Hello everybody, I hope I am posting this in the correct forum. I have built an i5 based server, on which I would like to run Zoneminder and Plex.

System is an i5-3330 on an Asus P8H77-V MoBo and 16gb of ram. 2x250GB SSD's, 1 for OS, and another for Jails, Plugins etc.
Storage is 8x3tb SAS connected to a IBM ServeRAID M5110 HBA controller, and all is working.

It's an old spec system I know, but I would like to better my knowledge of how TrueNAS works, before I start upgrading.

I understand how to create Jails, install plugins etc, and have installed ZM and Plex and have them working, to a point.

Where I am struggling is,
1) what would be the reccomended file system to set up my HDDs, do I use 1 pool or multiple, and
2) how do I point ZM to use this / these pools for storage.

I dont mind uninstalling what I have and starting again, as my media is currently on a Qnap NAS, and I have no use for existing CCTV footage.

I hope there is somebody on here who can guide me.

Arwen

MVP
Might want to read up on HBAs verses RAID controllers. I don't know if the IBM ServeRAID M5110 is a real HBA, but it appear not to be.

If you don't know ZFS, you may want to read up. Lots of potential optimizations that you do.

And a bit more useful information:

As for advice:
- A 250GB SSD is way over kill for the OS, though larger SSDs are getting cheap and finding smaller ones harder
- If their is no plan for iSCSI / external VMs, then single RAID-Z2 pool would be appropriate for 8 disks.
- Create separate datasets, (aka ZFS file systems), for different uses.

I can't advise for Plex or ZM, I don't use either.

Redcoat

MVP

Gravy72

Cadet
Thanks for your responses.
Yeah, the SSD's are just two that I had laying around.
The servraid card is already flashed, in IT mode, and is working perfectly. I am able to build a pool without any issues. I just want to make sure that I am doing it correctly for how I want to use it. I currently have a 4 disk Z1 pool, so I will redo it as the full 8 disk in Z2 as you suggest, and take it from there.
Am I doing the right thing in using the second SSD for jails and plugins, or should I just put the jails on the z2 pool?

sretalla