RAIDZ2 vs Mirror on 4 x 3TB NL SAS setup - T340

mikeyscott

Cadet
I'm just starting on the TrueNas path and probably going to have a look at Scale. I've not used Unraid, but I've done some reading and such. Leaning in the direction of TrueNAS. My previous storage experience is HPE MSA (iSCSI/FC) NetApp devices / Dell Compellant. I'm not a storage SME, I'm a jack of all trades, VMWare and Cisco Nexus switch installs have been my current tasking areas. It'll be VDI (Horizon) and Windows 2019 in 2021.

I've got a Dell PowerEdge T340 (Xeon E-2244G) server with 8 x 3.5" drive bays. I'm planning on installing an IcyDock 4 x 2.5" enclosure in one of the 5.25" bays.

From a disk layout my current plans are:
2 x 120GB SSD - may see if I can get some 32GB so I can use the 120GB SSD elsewhere.
4 x 3TB NL SAS disks
3 x 3TB WD RED (CMR), with a view to locate another. These are currently providing storage from a QNAP, the plan is to decommission the QNAP TS-453A and sell it off, but retaining the disks.

I was originally going to go for a RaidZ2 setup with the 4 x 3TB NL SAS drives, but I'm also looking at the 2 x Mirror setup for the vDev. I can see total storage would be about the same, but greater protection from drive failures. Performance would be better on the mirror setup.

Long term intentions, probably replace drives with larger drives and decrease the drive foot print and have a spare allocated in the server. Drive ages are mixed, but some are under warranty. Securing a new drive quickly isn't an issue.

Data that will be on the server:
Docs/pics etc for Windows 10 client machines SMB shares
Plex with Movies and maybe music, music currently sits on a 1TB NVMe drive in a PC. Got several Sonos and KEF speaker systems that play from a share on the QNAP, but Sonos integration with Plex and interest.
Music is accessed via iTunes and currently 15k songs (500GB). Currently robocopy it it the QNAP, thoughts is to robocopy to the Plex share have have the media accessible for the various platforms.
Steam games, again sat on another 1TB NVMe - not a particularly priority as I've not gamed since last winter/lockdown (UK heading that way again). iSCSI LUN are thoughts, so archive games to the LUN and keep active games on the NVMe.
Rasberry Pi with a NFS share mounted, qt torrent for radio shows etc.

Virtual machine intentions:
Unifi controller, via docker or an ubuntu 20.04 build, controller is currently sat on a Cloud Gen2 controller. Looking to migrate to a VM as prices of these devices are healthy, so time to maybe get what I paid for it back.

Backup intentions, sync to Backblaze, once I've done a trial and looked at costs further. Docs are sync'd to OneDrive anyway as I have 1TB package.

Thoughts and views from people, welcome.