Recommendations for periodic scripts within jails

Juan Manuel Palacios

Contributor
Hi everyone!

I have a growing number of jails running on my TrueNAS CORE rig, and I'm noticing that it's starting to affect performance during the very late hours of the night when periodic scripts are running.

Is there some kind of general consensus on best practices for periodic scripts within FreeBSD jails? (I'll readily admit this is not too much of a TrueNAS CORE specific question, and more of a general FreeBSD one, but I'd still love to get some input from FreeBSD & jail savvy people on this forum).

Thank you!

Stux

MVP
Don’t run the crons at the zero minute ;)

Juan Manuel Palacios

Contributor
Don’t run the crons at the zero minute ;)
I have very few cron jobs in my jails; in fact, I think only a single one so far, so that's not going to help reduce strain too much, unfortunately.

I am, though, running them all with their default periodic configuration, which I presume it's OK for one, or maybe even a couple of jails, but when you have a few more than that… you can definitely start to notice the hit on the host, especially when it comes to disk activity!

Currently I'm looking at Dan Langille's recommendation on the subject, https://gist.github.com/dlangille/ce60ac76b69f267a3f1de33495a338fc, and given how many jails he runs, it's probably sound advice!