Periodic `find` commands hang on iocage root, consume all RAM

lithium3141

Cadet
Hello all! I'm having an issue with my FreeNAS 11.3-U2 installation, and I've been pretty stuck on it. I'd be grateful for any pointers or clues anyone can offer.

As far as I can tell, the problem is this: on occasion, some regular task in the system spawns a find command, which gets "stuck" and starts consuming tons of memory. There are two jobs in /etc/periodic/security, 100.chksetuid and 110.neggrpperm, which were particularly noticeable culprits; these commands are meant to look for files with particular combinations of permissions as a regular security check. A third command seems like it's related to software updates, but I haven't been able to find its source.

Since around the time I upgraded to FreeNAS 11.2, these commands have been hanging and slowly consuming all the available RAM in the system. If I let them run long enough, they consume all the swap as well, and I'm forced into rebooting the system, since at that point I'm not able to log in or take any other action. It takes more than a week to get to that point, though, so for the time being I've been logging in and killing the offending processes every couple of days.

The actual commands getting spawned look like the following:

Code:
# From 100.chksetuid
find -sx / /dev/null ( ! -fstype local ) -prune -o -type f \
        ( -perm -u+x -or -perm -g+x -or -perm -o+x ) \
        ( -perm -u+s -or -perm -g+s ) -exec ls -liTd {} +

# From 110.neggrpperm
        ( ( ! -perm +010 -and -perm +001 ) -or \
        ( ! -perm +020 -and -perm +002 ) -or \
        ( ! -perm +040 -and -perm +004 ) ) \
        -exec ls -liTd {} +

# From somewhere I can't find
find -s / ! ( -fstype tmpfs -or -fstype zfs ) -prune \
       -or -path /tmp -prune \
       -or -path /usr/tmp -prune 
       -or -path /var/tmp -prune \
       -or -path /var/db/portsnap -prune \
       -or -path /var/db/freebsd-update -prune \
       -or -name .zfs -type d -prune \
       -or -print

After identifying these processes, I searched around and found a FreeBSD forums thread which referenced exactly these periodic jobs. It recommended that I set setuid=off for several of my datasets, since the jobs only run on datasets which have both exec and setuid enabled. However, that didn't fix the issue, and I noticed after the fact that the find commands were operating on /, so changing the properties on unrelated datasets might have been pointless. These changes also probably wouldn't have any effect on the third "mystery" command.

I noticed in top -o res that the commands growing in memory were often in a zfs-related state. To dig a little deeper, I waited for one of these commands to get into this bad state, then looked at what files it was trying to access with fstat -p. It seemed like the results were all related to my iocage jail that hosts the Plex plugin:

Code:
USER     CMD          PID   FD MOUNT      INUM MODE         SZ|DV R/W
nobody   find        1727 text /mnt/data/iocage/jails/plex-plexpass/root/usr/bin  13286 -r-xr-xr-x   57744  r
nobody   find        1727   wd /mnt/data/iocage/jails/plex-plexpass/root 106877 drwxr-xr-x  62112981  r
nobody   find        1727 root /mnt/data/iocage/jails/plex-plexpass/root      4 drwxr-xr-x      24  r
nobody   find        1727 jail /mnt/data/iocage/jails/plex-plexpass/root      4 drwxr-xr-x      24  r
nobody   find        1727    0* pipe fffff800246ef5f0 <-> fffff800246ef758      0 rw
nobody   find        1727    1* pipe fffff80108ace460 <-> fffff80108ace2f8      0 rw
nobody   find        1727    2 /mnt/data/iocage/jails/plex-plexpass/root/dev     15 crw-rw-rw-    null  w
nobody   find        1727    3 /mnt/data/iocage/jails/plex-plexpass/root      4 drwxr-xr-x      24  r
nobody   find        1727    4 /mnt/data/iocage/jails/plex-plexpass/root      4 drwxr-xr-x      24  r
nobody   find        1727    5 /mnt/data/iocage/jails/plex-plexpass/root 106877 drwxr-xr-x  62112981  r

I also checked the output of procstat -kk, which seemed to confirm that something zfs-related was afoot — but I couldn't glean any more information from the output than that.

Nevertheless, this info correlates roughly with the timing of when I started noticing the issue. I never had problems with the Plex plugin as a warden jail, but after reinstalling it in an iocage jail shortly after updating to 11.2, this problem cropped up. It persists in 11.3-U2, which I'm running now.

Does anybody know what's going on here? I'm about at the end of my useful diagnostic knowledge, and I'd be incredibly grateful for any ideas about next steps I can take.

lithium3141

Cadet
A little more information about the system: it's a SuperMicro X10DRL-i motherboard with a single E5-2620 v3 Xeon CPU and 64GB of RAM. The "System - Information" tab is missing from the new Web UI, but the Update tab tells me the current base OS version is base-os-11.3-U2-e60062598f0c69da5fe5e2a9886813a8.

Pingu

Cadet
I'm having a similar issue. That second find command keeps using up all memory. I also am running plex, I was wondering if you found a solution?

Code:
        ( ( ! -perm +010 -and -perm +001 ) -or \
        ( ! -perm +020 -and -perm +002 ) -or \
        ( ! -perm +040 -and -perm +004 ) ) \
        -exec ls -liTd {} +

Samuel Tai

Never underestimate your own stupidity
This is an very old version of FreeNAS, so forgive me if some of these details are hazy.

These scripts aren't launched from FreeNAS's /etc/crontab, but from the jail's /etc/crontab. The jail's crontab launches the daily/weekly/monthly periodic checks, which include the 2 scripts you reference. The 3rd script may be launched from /usr/local/etc/periodic inside the jail.

At the very least, you really should upgrade to 11.3-U2.1, which fixes a nasty data-destroying bug in ZFS and middlewared memory issues in U2.

As 11.3 is end of life, you should definitely upgrade to 12.8-U8.1, so forum members could have a better chance of helping you.