Recommendations for a 12-16 Bay Rackmount Server

JohnK

Patron
it should work be fine. The last pair I bought is https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000FBT47E/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I also bought
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B011W2F626/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1 for cabling my backplane when I replaced it.

One other thing to note is that if you want to wait on replacing the backplane, you could use normal SATA cable from the Motherboard in the interim. For example, if you decide on the Supermicro X11SSM, it has 8 SATA ports and you could cable those to the SAS836TQ backplane.

You might want to look at this backplane

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Ooh, that sounds like a very good deal.

scruzloose33

Dabbler
You might want to look at this backplane
Great find! I just picked that up. So, here is what I have so far:
  • Supermicro 3U Chassis
  • SAS2-836EL1 Backplane
  • Supermicro X9SRL-F Motherboard
  • LSI SAS9211-8i (IT mode) HBA
  • Intel 545s 512 GB SSD for OS (way too large, but I picked it up for around $50)
  • 6 x 8TB Western Digital Easystore Soon-to-Be-Shucked Drives (red/white hopefully)
A big thank you to Chris Moore (in this thread and others) and everyone else for the suggestions so far. I have just a few components left to purchase and a few remaining questions:
  1. Is there a need for mirrored drive redundancy of the OS? I am trying to figure out if I should buy a second SSD. If so, I may pick up two smaller and cheaper SSDs and use this 512 GB drive for something else.

2. With 8 TB drives, is a VDev with 6 drives optimal? I am contemplating waiting until the Easystores go on sale again (it seems to happen every few weeks) and picking up two more drives. I would add a 7th to the VDev and keep one on the shelf for a backup. What is recommended? Given that I will be using RAID-Z2, it feels that getting another 8 TB of usable storage isn't a bad idea, but I don't want to put too many disks in the VDev.

3. Is 64 GB of registered ECC memory sufficient? I have seen the recommendations of 1 GB of RAM for each TB of storage, but it isn't clear to me if that is raw storage or usable storage. I also assume this is just general guidance. My primary usage for this FreeNAS server will be general backup storage (for my VMs on another server), a Plex media server, and storage for ZoneMinder surveillance recordings. It looks like I can pick up used 16 GB sticks for about $50 each on eBay, but I don't want to spend more than I need for now and I can upgrade later since the X9SRL-F has 8 DIMM slots, there is plenty of room for upgrading later.

4. Given the usage just recommended, is there any significant advantage to getting a passmark score of 15k or more? I don't think Plex would be transcoding more than 1-2 streams at a time and the ZoneMinder CPU utilization for things like motion detection will be happening on my separate XenServer host. Is it worth spending close to $200 for a CPU such as the E5-2680 v2 or should the E5-2630 v2 be more than enough?

5. Is a CPU cooler recommended or required? I assume so from Chris's recommendations in this thread.

6. Other than a cable to connect my HBA to the backplane, am I overlooking any other needs?

Thanks!
Shane

JohnK

Patron
Great find! I just picked that up. So, here is what I have so far:
  • Supermicro 3U Chassis
  • SAS2-836EL1 Backplane
  • Supermicro X9SRL-F Motherboard
  • LSI SAS9211-8i (IT mode) HBA
  • Intel 545s 512 GB SSD for OS (way too large, but I picked it up for around $50)
  • 6 x 8TB Western Digital Easystore Soon-to-Be-Shucked Drives (red/white hopefully)
A big thank you to Chris Moore (in this thread and others) and everyone else for the suggestions so far. I have just a few components left to purchase and a few remaining questions:
  1. Is there a need for mirrored drive redundancy of the OS? I am trying to figure out if I should buy a second SSD. If so, I may pick up two smaller and cheaper SSDs and use this 512 GB drive for something else.

2. With 8 TB drives, is a VDev with 6 drives optimal? I am contemplating waiting until the Easystores go on sale again (it seems to happen every few weeks) and picking up two more drives. I would add a 7th to the VDev and keep one on the shelf for a backup. What is recommended? Given that I will be using RAID-Z2, it feels that getting another 8 TB of usable storage isn't a bad idea, but I don't want to put too many disks in the VDev.

3. Is 64 GB of registered ECC memory sufficient? I have seen the recommendations of 1 GB of RAM for each TB of storage, but it isn't clear to me if that is raw storage or usable storage. I also assume this is just general guidance. My primary usage for this FreeNAS server will be general backup storage (for my VMs on another server), a Plex media server, and storage for ZoneMinder surveillance recordings. It looks like I can pick up used 16 GB sticks for about $50 each on eBay, but I don't want to spend more than I need for now and I can upgrade later since the X9SRL-F has 8 DIMM slots, there is plenty of room for upgrading later.

4. Given the usage just recommended, is there any significant advantage to getting a passmark score of 15k or more? I don't think Plex would be transcoding more than 1-2 streams at a time and the ZoneMinder CPU utilization for things like motion detection will be happening on my separate XenServer host. Is it worth spending close to $200 for a CPU such as the E5-2680 v2 or should the E5-2630 v2 be more than enough?

5. Is a CPU cooler recommended or required? I assume so from Chris's recommendations in this thread.

6. Other than a cable to connect my HBA to the backplane, am I overlooking any other needs?

Thanks!
Shane
1. I tend to use 80gb SSDs. You can pick them up on Ebay for around $30. My do user SATADOM on newer motherboards for ESXI.
2. My main server has 6x8TB drives. I believe that is an optimal config. There is a post somewhere that shows all the recommended configurations.
3. I use 16GB for my FreeNas VM and it is more than adequate.
4. I use a E3-1230 in my setup and I'm more than happy with my Plex. If I should ever want to do something ridiculous like 4k transcoding, I would add a P2000 video card. That is a long way off though.. I would not spend the money to get the fastest..
5. I would recommend a passive heatsink SNK-P0048P with Air Shroud. Do check the supermicro matrix.

scruzloose33

Dabbler
1. I tend to use 80gb SSDs. You can pick them up on Ebay for around $30. My do user SATADOM on newer motherboards for ESXI.
2. My main server has 6x8TB drives. I believe that is an optimal config. There is a post somewhere that shows all the recommended configurations.
3. I use 16GB for my FreeNas VM and it is more than adequate.
4. I use a E3-1230 in my setup and I'm more than happy with my Plex. If I should ever want to do something ridiculous like 4k transcoding, I would add a P2000 video card. That is a long way off though.. I would not spend the money to get the fastest..
5. I would recommend a passive heatsink SNK-P0048P with Air Shroud. Do check the supermicro matrix.
Thanks for the reply. Do you use mirrored 80 GB SSDs for the FreeNAS OS or typically just one? If they are mirrored, do you use a hardware RAID controller to manage the RAID-1?

JohnK

Patron
Thanks for the reply. Do you use mirrored 80 GB SSDs for the FreeNAS OS or typically just one? If they are mirrored, do you use a hardware RAID controller to manage the RAID-1?
Best practice is that you probably mirror etc, I don't.

I used to install Freenas on two mirror 100gb 3700 SSD's, inside ESXI, but I believe it is an overkill and make things overcomplex. Now, I backup my config weekly and have never lost a SATADOM or SSD running ESXI/FreeNas. If I do, I will just recover...

scruzloose33

Dabbler

It turns out my X9SRL-F motherboard came with a Dynatron active CPU cooler/fan. I believe this is going to be too tall for the air shroud in my SC836. Should I remove the air shroud and use the active cooler or am I better off switching to a passive heat sink and keeping the air shroud?

JohnK

Patron
It turns out my X9SRL-F motherboard came with a Dynatron active CPU cooler/fan. I believe this is going to be too tall for the air shroud in my SC836. Should I remove the air shroud and use the active cooler or am I better off switching to a passive heat sink and keeping the air shroud?
I'm not an expert in cooling, but the way I look at it is that you have 5 cooling fans inside the SC836 and 5 fan controllers on the motherboard (I needed two fan extensions due to the placements) These boards don't come with dedicated CPU fan controller, so I'm not sure how what that will do in terms of running speeds. You can control fan speeds with software. I just thought it easier to add a passive heatsink.

scruzloose33

Dabbler
I'm not an expert in cooling, but the way I look at it is that you have 5 cooling fans inside the SC836 and 5 fan controllers on the motherboard (I needed two fan extensions due to the placements) These boards don't come with dedicated CPU fan controller, so I'm not sure how what that will do in terms of running speeds. You can control fan speeds with software. I just thought it easier to add a passive heatsink.
Thanks. I just ordered a passive heat sink (SNK-P0048PS). You are probably right that the current fans should be sufficient. Now I just need to figure out how to quiet them down so my room doesn’t sound like a production data center.

scruzloose33

Dabbler
There appear to be varying opinions out there about how to handle the lack of a SATA connector from the PSU/PDB. The Supermicro 836TQ chassis that I am using has the redundant PWS-801-1R power supplies connected to a PDB that doesn't appear to have SATA power connectors. Are opinions on this forum that the molex-to-SATA adapters such as the one below are safe to use? I am trying to get power to two boot drive SSDs that I am going to mount back near the PCI expansion slots.

https://www.amazon.com/Monoprice-108794-24-Inch-15-Pin-Female/dp/B009GULFJ0

I don't see any PDBs on the Supermicro site that have SATA power connectors, so I assume this is a reasonable approach. But, I am also aware of the reports of melted plugs and fires caused by these adapters.

JohnK

Patron
There appear to be varying opinions out there about how to handle the lack of a SATA connector from the PSU/PDB. The Supermicro 836TQ chassis that I am using has the redundant PWS-801-1R power supplies connected to a PDB that doesn't appear to have SATA power connectors. Are opinions on this forum that the molex-to-SATA adapters such as the one below are safe to use? I am trying to get power to two boot drive SSDs that I am going to mount back near the PCI expansion slots.

https://www.amazon.com/Monoprice-108794-24-Inch-15-Pin-Female/dp/B009GULFJ0

I don't see any PDBs on the Supermicro site that have SATA power connectors, so I assume this is a reasonable approach. But, I am also aware of the reports of melted plugs and fires caused by these adapters.

I think you will be fine using one of those adapters. It is surely your cheapest option in the short run. Not saying that bad wires won't cause fires etc, but I use Supermicro CBL-0080L cables in my 1u builds.

In the long run keep your eyes open for MCP-220-81504-0N or MCP-220-81506-0N drive kids that goes in front of chassis. New they go for around $50-60. You could even consider MCP-220-82609-0N or MCP-220-83608-0N kids. Those will not fit your chassis and will require some rigging.

scruzloose33

Dabbler
I am nearing the end of my build process and have (hopefully) only one more question. When I installed the SAS2-836EL1 backplane I noticed it has three PWM fan headers that I can use. But, I don’t think I have an I2C connector for the backplane on my X9SRL-F motherboard. I assume this means that the front fans will run at 100% if I use these backplane headers.

But, the motherboard only has five fan headers in total. One of them appears to be dedicated to the CPU (not a big deal since I have a passive heat sink) and another (FAN-A) is dedicated for the PCIe expansion cards. I have read that is on a separate thermal zone. So, I currently have all five fans connected to the system board, but it doesn’t seem right to use FAN-A for one of my drive fans.

What is the best approach here? Is there a way to connect the I2C cable from the backplane to my motherboard? If not, should I just leave these front fans running at 100% anyway? Should I use a PWM splitter cable to have two fans share one header or will I lose some fan monitoring capability with that approach?

Thanks!

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
But, I don’t think I have an I2C connector for the backplane on my X9SRL-F motherboard.
I would expect the backplane to connect to the motherboard via connector JIPMB1, above the BMC and to the left of PCIe slot 5. That's something you'll want to verify, though.

scruzloose33

Dabbler
I would expect the backplane to connect to the motherboard via connector JIPMB1, above the BMC and to the left of PCIe slot 5. That's something you'll want to verify, though.
The manual states that is "A System Management Bus header for the IPMI slot is located at IPMB. Connect the appropriate cable here to use the IPMB I2C connection on your system."

I was having trouble deciphering what that was saying, but I guess it would make sense that it could be used as the I2C connection from the backplane. Thanks for the help!

scruzloose33

Dabbler
I am having a hard time finding an I2C cable that is more than 8" in length. I don't think I can connect the backplane to JIPMB1 with anything less than about 16-18". Is there a reason these cables are sold in such short lengths? Can I connect two 8" I2C connectors such as the ones below to get the length I need? If this approach is fine and 16" doesn't cut it, would adding a 3rd cable be problematic?

https://www.amazon.com/4-Pin-I2C-Connector-pack/dp/B01ISMVXWK
https://www.amazon.com/4-Pin-I2C-Connector-pack/dp/B01ISMV9XS

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Are those things you're looking at compatible with what you need? I2C is a serial protocol, but unlike RS-232 it doesn't have a quasi-standard connector, since it's typically embedded in other connectors (such as the Type 2 EV charging connector) or stays on the PCB.
Assuming the connectors are fine, just chain as many of them as you need, it's a low-speed interface. Just be sure to take care of the connectors so that they don't disconnect. Tie them up with electrical tape or something.

scruzloose33

Dabbler
Are those things you're looking at compatible with what you need? I2C is a serial protocol, but unlike RS-232 it doesn't have a quasi-standard connector, since it's typically embedded in other connectors (such as the Type 2 EV charging connector) or stays on the PCB.
Assuming the connectors are fine, just chain as many of them as you need, it's a low-speed interface. Just be sure to take care of the connectors so that they don't disconnect. Tie them up with electrical tape or something.
Honestly, I can’t tell if the connectors will fit from the picture. I was planning to pick them up at a local Microcenter so I can take a look first. I can’t seem to find the Supermicro part number for the cable that would have come with the backplane, so I am flying a little blind. I guess in the worst case I can just skip this connection.

JohnK

Patron
I am having a hard time finding an I2C cable that is more than 8" in length. I don't think I can connect the backplane to JIPMB1 with anything less than about 16-18". Is there a reason these cables are sold in such short lengths? Can I connect two 8" I2C connectors such as the ones below to get the length I need? If this approach is fine and 16" doesn't cut it, would adding a 3rd cable be problematic?

https://www.amazon.com/4-Pin-I2C-Connector-pack/dp/B01ISMVXWK
https://www.amazon.com/4-Pin-I2C-Connector-pack/dp/B01ISMV9XS

Those cables seems to be all female. You are looking for male. I believe it is a CBL-CDAT-0601 is what you are looking for.

With that all said, I have never even noticed those three Fan connectors on my Backplane! Thanks, I will investigate using it. I have my 5 fans connected to the motherboard headers (using two extenders) and they are running 2500-2800 rpm...

Last edited: