Realtek watchdog timeout

Status
Not open for further replies.

bravo444

Explorer
Hi, All,

I finished setting up with FreeNAS 9.3.1 stable, VMware 5.5x2 hosts and iSCSI (1TB data)
The NICs are on board and vendor is Realtek (8111e). I have CIFS and iSCSI data and they are separated configured. re0 is assigned as CIFS and re1 is assigned as iSCSI. However, I have gotten re1 watchdog timeout error when I tried to do "clone" or change memory settings on Vmware client. The issue was solved when the system was rebooted. I tried to search for this issue, and I have found some articles. For instance, set switch option like "-tso" or "hw.xxx.allow_asf="0". I really appreciate if you have some hints for this issue.

MB: asrock Z68
Mem: 16GB
HD: WD red (3TBx5) with RaidZ2
iSCSI: 1TB (around 600GB has been used)

Regards,

Bidule0hm

Server Electronics Sorcerer
Realtek NICs... well, they are really crappy.

Just search the forum and you'll see others members having a ton of problems with them (the most often encountered is probably slow speeds). Even on Windows they are not that great (the one on my laptop just doesn't want to switch to gigabit mode, and no, it's not a cable problem, it's just Realtek NICs...).

So, the solution is to get a proper NIC, Intel ones are probably the best ones for FreeNAS ;)

bravo444

Explorer
Thanks for your comments. BTW, I tried to set "jumbo frames" like mtu 9000, but I still can see mtu 1500 on the system. I mean, the change has not been affected?!

Or is there the latest driver for Realtek 8111e or similar one?!

I want to avoid getting new NIC card...

Regards,

Last edited:

Bidule0hm

Server Electronics Sorcerer
Last edited:

bravo444

Explorer
Hi, Bidule0hm,

Thanks for your information. I really understand what the Realfuxx is bad NIC..as long as I read about the threads that you mentioned. I will try to get Intel 9301CT intead.
Again, thanks!

Regards,

Realtek isnt a supported NIC for FreeNAS, or at least doesnt function properly. Installing a Intel NIC and using it will resolve the issues because well, youre not using the Realtek NIC anymore :p .

From the FreeNAS manual "
Warning

for performance reasons and to avoid excessive fragmentation, it is recommended to keep the used space of the pool below 50% when using iSCSI. As required, you can increase the capacity of an existing extent using the instructions in Growing LUNs."

Now its very possible that since you only set aside 1Tb of your x5 3Tb drives rather then the whole thing you might be ok, but the above is a possibility where you will run into issues.

Status
Not open for further replies.