Realtek rtl81111f support?

Status
Not open for further replies.

andoy31

Explorer
Just recently bought new mobo, however i noticed that it's onboard nic is rtl8111f... Tried installling freenas 8 but came out with no network.

Anyone point me to the right direction to have the network working.
Thanks!

andoy31

Explorer
RTL8111F support was only added in freebsd 8.3 hence need to compile it from freebsd 8.2 and copy the drivers to freenas

just in case....

1. i copied the compiled if_re.ko from /boot/kernel of freebsd to a usb
2. modify the mount permission of / of the freenas "mount -uw /" to enable write functionality to the filesystem.
3. from the usb copy the if_re.ko to /boot/kernel of freenas (mount the usb mount -t msdosfs /dev/<da01> /mnt/<usb> )the <da01 and <usb> will depend on your system and preference.
4. modify using vi or ee (depends on preference) the /boot/loader.conf and include "if_re_load="YES"
5. reboot freenas and it should see your network :)

let me know if anyone needs a compiled driver and will send via email.

Babovand

Cadet
RTL8111F support was only added in freebsd 8.3 hence need to compile it from freebsd 8.2 and copy the drivers to freenas

just in case....

1. i copied the compiled if_re.ko from /boot/kernel of freebsd to a usb
2. modify the mount permission of / of the freenas "mount -uw /" to enable write functionality to the filesystem.
3. from the usb copy the if_re.ko to /boot/kernel of freenas (mount the usb mount -t msdosfs /dev/<da01> /mnt/<usb> )the <da01 and <usb> will depend on your system and preference.
4. modify using vi or ee (depends on preference) the /boot/loader.conf and include "if_re_load="YES"
5. reboot freenas and it should see your network :)

let me know if anyone needs a compiled driver and will send via email.

I would very much like to have the compiled driver for Realtek RTL8111F, 64-bit if possible.
I've been banging my head around for hours trying to compile it without success
Please could you upload the driver to speedyshare and post the link here? or attach it here on the forum

http://www.speedyshare.com

Thanks!

andoy31

Explorer
please see attached compiled rtl8111F driver for freebsd 8.2

Attachments

• if_re.zip
    20 KB · Views: 794

Babovand

Cadet
Thank you! Going to try it out

EDIT:
Just tried it out and it works perfectly, going to test speeds soon.
This is what i did. Going to explain andoy31's instructions more detailed.

You need to have a USB device that is FAT32 formated, put the if_re.ko file in the USB device.

1. Start Freenas, open up the shell with (9).
2. Plug in the USB, take a note of the disks "letter assignment", mine was da1 for the USB device
3. Mount the USB by using this commands.
# mkdir /mnt/usb
# mount_msdosfs /dev/da1s1 /mnt/usb

4. Make the filesystem read and writeable.
# mount -uw /

5. Change working directory to usb device.
# cd /mnt/usb

6. Copy the if_re.ko file to /boot/kernel.
# cp if_re.ko /boot/kernel

7. Time to edit the loader.conf file. use ee or vi, i used ee because it load faster for me.
# ee /boot/loader.conf

8. use arrow keys to go to the end of the file, make a new line and type
if_re_load="YES"

save and exit, with ee press escape and leave, it will then ask you if you want to save, save it.

Done, this worked for me with FreeNAS-8.2.0-BETA4-x64

Thanks again Andoy31!

andoy31

Explorer
Great! Goodluck with your Freenas server:)

Btw if ever you'll be performing an upgrade of freenas you may need to do the same steps over again until the freenas target upgrade will be based in freebsd 8.3

chunk1085

Cadet
I just built my first freeNAS and am having the same problem where I get 0.0.0.0 as an IP and am unable to access the web GUI. My guess is that the proper drivers are not available in the kernel as mentioned earlier. I followed the instructions above with no luck. Any suggestions? I am rather new to this so please let me know what information/logs I need to post and how I should go about getting them without a web GUI. Thanks and please save me!

FreeNAS 8.3.0 beta 4
Biostar B75MU3+ (RTL8111F)
G530 intel processor
4 x 3TB Seagate ST3000DM001

andoy31

Explorer
hmmm can you give us the output of ifconfig -a from the CLI.
from the console select "9" for shell then type ifconfig -a

chunk1085

Cadet
Thanks so much for the fast reply andoy31. Here is the output from ipconfig -a what do you think?

re0: flags=8843<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> metric 0 mtu 1500 options=8209b<RXCSUM,TXCSUM,VLAN_MTU,VLAN_HWTAGGING,VLAN_HWCSUM,WOL_MAGIC,LINKSTATE
ether b8:97:5a:06:cc:e2
inet 0.0.0.0 netmask 0xff000000 broadcast 255.255.255.255
media: Ethernet autoselect (1000baseT <full-duplex>)

lo0: flags=8049<UP,LOOPBACK,RUNNING,MULTICAST> metric 0 mtu 16384 options=3<RXCSUM,TXCSUM>
inet6 fe80::1%lo0 prefixlen 64 scopeid 0x2
inet6 ::1 prefixlen 128
inet 127.0.0.1 netmask 0xff000000
nd6 options=3<PERFORMNUD,ACCEPT_RTADV>

chunk1085

Cadet
I am not sure how to read this output, so I am not sure if it reflects the driver update that I applied using the above instructions. Is the correct driver loading or is it something else wrong with the connection?

andoy31

Explorer
I think it looks good, you may just need to configure network interfaces (option 1 in the console)then either assign as DHCP or static ip.

CyPerson

Dabbler
Hello,

Thank you for posting this!! I've tried installing this driver for my asus c60M1-I board, but am having little luck detecting my nic card.

Is the attached driver for x64 only?

[EDIT] - I installed the x64 version and works! Thanks for the update.

andoy31

Explorer
yes this is for x64only

danno

Dabbler
Glad I stumbled across this post. When I read the Release Notes for FreeBSD 8.2, it says that the re(4) driver supports RTL8111, which I assumed included RTL8111F (unless I missed it, there is no base RTL8111 chipset mentioned at Realtek's web site). The compiled driver worked for my 64-bit FreeNAS install, and I was able to get into the web console interface.

cyberjock

Inactive Account

CalBearFan

Cadet
Adding my name to the list of people saying thanks. And so others can find it, worked great on an ASUS P8 H77-I motherboard.

bblades262

Cadet
Status
Not open for further replies.