Really wanted it to work

Status
Not open for further replies.

NCPA

Cadet
As a noob to this type of tech I appreciate I'll cop a lot of flack for this, so here goes.

Having had a change in career from catering to more desk based work, I've always wanted to learn new stuff & challenge myself.

I liked the idea of building a NAS and read as much as I could, trying to make sense of it all as I went.

There's no doubting that I make some mistakes along the way, but rectified them as soon as I could (buying a small cheap barebones PC was just the start, with its IDE connectors).

Due to cost saving (bear in mind this is project just to see if I could do it) for £40 I had a Celeron, 2gb, 160gb hdd computer in a case I liked (remarkable considering I'm on a budget).

FreeNAS has been nothing but a pain in my hole. I've read articles that say v9.2.1.9 will run on this spec, & maybe it will, but not in my experience. I've read so many 'getting started' posts & checklist & Youtube vids that my head hurts. Often the GUI doesn't match what is being talked about.

Basically, it is fine talking about x,y & z in technical details, but that doesn't help a noob who'll probably be reading it, which I thought was the whole point of forums.

So I guess what I'm looking for is a level of help in layman's terms that an idiot could understand, I'm pretty sure I'll be roundly mocked for this post (yes have a little experience of forums in the past).

Any help is much appreciated, as I'm now at the end of my tether.

D

dlavigne

Due to your hardware constraints, FreeNAS isn't the right solution for you. There are other open source NAS solutions available that may work on that hardware.

NCPA

Cadet
Cheers, thx for clearing that up. Care to point me in the right direction?
Many thx

NCPA

Cadet
Excellent, thx so much for your help. Maybe I'll return to FreeNAS when I build a bigger project.

BigDave

FreeNAS Enthusiast

russnas

Contributor
You should of just read the freenas manual aswell as the manual of your next OS install, there are a few misleading videos and blogs about running freenas on obsolete hardware.

I even had trouble running nas4free on old hardware with 2gb RAM, just to see what it's like, recommended RAM is 4gb

CraigD

Patron
I tried NAS4free before switching to freeNAS with new hardware and it was great

It is as if freeNAS has a twin with GUI temperature reporting

In the end freeNAS has more support and development

I understand 3 people are still working on NAS4free many more than this developing freeNAS

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.